ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
I get 25mpg with both of my turbos I tried the acetone in the 83 and it made no difference at all I have not tried it in my 87.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I just got 21 miles per gallon using acetone. Its because I ran the AC alot. I need to fix my window switch.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I got 345 miles to my last tank full both city and interstate but mostly city driving. I'm now using 6oz acetone to full tank from empty.

·
Registered
13 Posts
well I am getting 28MPG(NA) without using acetone, so I don't imagine it would improve anything for me..

·
Registered
76 Posts
people need to fucking quit posting milage gains from acetone without driving less than 1000 miles, and keeping track.

less than a half tank sure, it entertaining, but nobody with repsect to science will take you numbers seriously.

drive 1000 miles next week for all i care, but without your preivious 1000 or your next 1000, the numbers dont matter.

you say 7 gallons. i can round to 6.6 or 7.4 and get ...well, numbers that dont mean ****, you refilled to exactly 7.00 gallons?

6.6 gallons: 27.72
7.0 gallons: 26.142
7.4 gallons: 24.73

on such a short distance, a small rounding makes a difference.

start today, put xx amount of acetone in each time you fill up, drive 1000 miles, then go 1000 miles without acetone. this will take out your natual human nature effect to control fuel.

you dont have to add the acetone before you fill up, fill the tank, drive the 2 miles home and add your additive.

long story short, or long story long, there has been a large group of people i put in the categorys of assclowns posting milage increases over less than a half tank of fuel. yes these same people have been either been too lazy, or are in process and dont post updates due to shame, of their results.

Seriously, a cute 1 day test of you milage does nothing more than make my balls itch. run 1000 miles on each fuel, and get back to us.

I'm not saying that adding 2/1000 acetone doesnt work, but common sense tells me it doesnt.

I've challenged every person who posts this stuff to give me real numbers, and I have yet to have anyone post up anything. Maybe they are still running the first 1000 on the superfuel. or hoprefully they are on the next 1000 on regular fuel assuming they didnt have their last 1000 miles worth of records.

if someone is in charge, it shouldnt be more than a couple weeks, since i posted this challenge long ago.

bah, I'll send $1 to the person who posts better than a 3mpg savings over 1000 miles of driving with the same routine, and has proof.

easy dollar for you believers

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hey clown, i cant take u serious with ur sign on (clownsrus) BUT WHAT I DO TAKE SERIUOS IS SOME ONE LIKE U . IF U DONT LIKE WHAT I WRITE AND DONT TAKE IT SERIOUS PASS ON TO THE POST: WHAT WOULD U PAY FOR THIS. AND IF UR BALLS START TO ITCH ME THINKS U SHOULD LICK THEM LIKE MY DOG DOES.IF U R FOLLOWING THE POSTS THAT I HAVE BEEN POSTING U WILL SEE THE RESULTS I HAVE BEEN GETTING.the answer to Steev, 2 1/2 oz per 10 gals.i havent taken the car on a strickly hiway drive but i was getting 28 mpg, im waiting for some good weather to take a run up state to see the trees. lick my _alls

·
Registered
958 Posts
clownsrus. go and get some common sense before you try to "use" something you don't have. WTF is your problem. No1 gives a **** what you think and no1 is going to test acetone for 1000 miles on every different setting. That would take to long. He's sharing his results so everyone else can share results. You may not care about it, but I do, and so do quite a few other ppl on this forum. Stop bashing subjects that you don't know about. Go read some articles on it and thing for yourself. Maybe if you go read an article on it (since your SUCH a sientist), and make a decent oppinion on the subject, based off of many sources. Jackass.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Ah....you gotta love secret z31.com senior members coming and posting on zcar.com. I'm gonna stick neutral in this one, mostly cause I don't drive my Z, it just sits there looking crappy.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
I have to agree with Clown on this. While it is interesting to see the results you guys are posting it really means nothing. As a scientest if I used your methods of "proof" for other experiements I would be laughed at. In order to really see if acetone works you guys need to change your methods of testing. Even what clown posted wouldn't be acceptable in a lab but I guess it would be a big improvment over what you guys are doing. You need to test acetone over a long period of time vs not using it over a long period of time. Both would require logs of miles, gallons of gas, wind, incline of the road you were one, how aggressive your driving was, etc. Only after both experiements are complete and numbers compared using statistical methonds could acetone be proved or not. It's not abnormal for a 300zx to get 30mpg properly tunned or over 300 miles in one tank. I think the problem might be condition of the motor. Again, take what you want from the results your are getting or what others have posted but it really means nothing as far as testing goes. It takes years for companies to put things out on the market. They don't simply try it once or twice and then put it out to the public. I for one bet that acetone statisticly does nothing and will have a PT(two) number of higher than .5: aka that means there is not a statisticly significant difference.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1984 na auto 105k, it works 4 me, the car runs alot smmooooooother. i really ont care if u doubt me . im one 4 checking mpg every time i full up i believe that it is one of the first ways to tell if the is something wrong.over the 3 years that i owned is car the milage rarely changed more than 5%.19-21mpg combo driving. last nite i got 183 miles on 7 gals. same pump same set up. i think that if u do the math u will see why im posting this info. i do believe it works it works fot me. enough said . if u see me post again under the name dad7751 and subject acetone skip the post thanks

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Sounds like a placebo effect. I learned about that in psychology. The reason for you getting better mileage is in part because you know the acetone is in the lines, and you believe it should give you better milage, so even unconsciously, your driving reflects that. The same thing with your smoother engine.

What you need is some blind testing. Like put it in your wife or gf's tank, and don't tell her. Maybe keep a log of when she fills up and what kind of MPG she's getting over 1000 miles or so. That would take the human effect out of it.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
THAT is a terrible idea, if u r with them they will ask u to fill it up,and wheres my saving then. if u r a disbeliever so b it. look were not talking weapons of mass descruction here, i have nothing to gain, dont use it.i dont care, my results r gooood enough 4 me. for every 5 gals u burn i burn 4

·
Registered
168 Posts
I agree with Clown, also. And I also have a few questions for those of you who've added acetone more than once.

Do you drive the car to empty each time? If not, how do you adjust your acetone:fuel ratio? I would think that if you add 5.5-6 oz to a 19gal tand and fill up when you're at a half- or quarter-tank, the numbers wouldn't match. Since you don't know the ratio of acetone in the existing gas, there's no way to even estimate how much acetone to add to the new gas. I've driven two tanks to near-empty, using decreasing amounts of acetone each time with no significant gains.

Would someone who's been doing this for a while, successfully, explain their specific process?

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
i tried 2.8 ounces in my 88 shiro with 43k and 280zxt with the esame amount both cars run better but i dont find any imporvement in my mileage not yet anyway but ill keep trying to get a better ratio

·
Registered
430 Posts
It can be difficult to keep the ratio where you think you are getting the best mpg. I use the following and keep it on the back of the drivers visor. Usually...less is more.

I try to guess how many gallons to fill...and put the acetone in before filling...to wash it off the filler tube and mix it well. Never seem to get it right. Easier and more accurate to add it last.

As far as results...some people don't see any...some even lose mpg...usually depending on the car involved and miles/condition...though driving style affects the results for sure. Can take a few tanks to see some results.

Thing with acetone is that you can have more power or you can have better mpg...or if you drive somewhere in the middle you can have both.

You need a good O2 sensor. Good idea to reset the ECU.

Ignition timing might be a factor in how well it works...though I haven't moved mine much from an advanced position. If you have your ignition advanced and you add acetone...it might now be too advanced...firing too soon to get the best power and mpg.

No point in even starting to use it unless you keep regular mpg records though. Usually 3 tanks are the minimum for a "valid" mpg test.

If you just add some here and there...you are taking some chances.

I could probably vary my na mileage by 3-4 mpg by changing driving style. Wind direction makes a big difference. Serious winter weather sure does.

Some people get good mpg when skipping the acetone for one tank now and then...a "rebound" effect?

All in all...acetone is probably the easiest and most effective way to see some mpg gains...other than just drivng very easy.

There is some chance of causing problems with the fuel pump...injectors...etc....which is WHY you need to keep track of the ratio.

I carry a fire extinguisher....though acetone is LESS flammable than gasoline.

* Use at your own risk *

---------

Other additives used by some to gain mpg:

Coleman's fuel (white gas...naptha)

diesel cetane improver

WD40

Synthetic Two Stroke Oil

xylene

99.9% napthylene mothballs

* these are used in small amounts, some are used with acetone, and you need to RESEARCH well before using.

* Use at your own risk *

-------------

How much acetone to add to maintain 2 or 3 oz per 10 Gallon concentration

Fuel Acetone
Gallons Concentration

Gal 2oz/10gal 3oz/10gal
1 0.2 0.3
2 0.4 0.6
3 0.6 0.9
4 0.8 1.2
5 1.0 1.5
6 1.2 1.8