ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1984 2+2 auto na 104 k, 181miles /7.50 = 24mpg or close to it. 4 oz in 15 gal.the engine ran like it just had a soup to nuts tune up.idle smoothed out to a steady 700rpm,it just smmmmooottthhhed out so nice.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Can anyone else back that up??? Sounds kinda dangerous. Espically for all those rings and seals?

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
I have been reading these forums for quite awhile now, and I have decided to get over my hatred of registering and finally make some contributions of my own.

About two weeks ago after 88hybrid posted the initial post about acetone as an additive, I decided to do some of my own research. The chemistry behind it made a lot of sense, but i decided to check with my Organic Chemistry II teacher from last semester. He confirmed that the science behind the claims made a lot of sense. However, me still being quite curious, I decided to have a couple of my friends who go to UTI take a printout of the link 88hybrid posted to school with them and discuss it with their teachers. After their teachers showed a lot of excitement about the possible benefits, and couldn't come up with any reason not to try it, i decided to give it a shot..

I've done two fill ups now, heres some data:

I always fill up either at Cosco or Chevron, without acetone my milage per tank varies from about 380 to 420 miles in town, depending on how hard i drive. thats roughly 19.79 to 22mpg around the city.

After doing some research around the net, i found that on average, the people with the best gains were using slightly less than 3oz/10gal. I decided to go with 2.75oz/10gal, or 5.225oz per tank.

for my first try:
i added only 5 gallons to a bone-dry tank (so dry in fact that i had to skate to the gas station with a one gallon can in order to get my car there to put the additional 4 gallons in)
I measured out 1.4oz of pure acetone and added it to the tank before putting the additional 4 gallons of fuel in.
that 5 gallons got me 130 miles before my car died from running out of fuel (fuel guage is totally unreliable in my car) luckily about a quarter of a mile away from home.
results:
gas milage increased to 26mpg, smoother idle and revving.

second try:
10 gallons of fuel added from cosco with 2.75 oz of acetone. was able
get 284 miles, or exactly 28.4mpg. again, there is no doubt that the car runs much smoother and has a little more power. this time i noticed that my cold start problems (car hesitating and then surging then hesitating then surging when cold) seemed to be somewhat more dramatic with the fuel/acetone mix. once the car has been driven for 45 seconds or so this goes away completely and wont return until the car has sat for more than 6 hours or so before being driven again.

conclusion:
there is no doubt that it improves both gas mileage and engine performance. bad for o-rings, fuel filters, fuel lines, injectors, etc? i don't know, but i doubt it. Fuel System instructors at UTI seemed to think there would be no issues at all..

btw: 88hybrid, thanks for the original post into this matter. and also your car is becoming a benchmark of originality and creativity. keep up the work.

·
Registered
958 Posts
lol. you havn't been following whats been going on in the forum. dnev. Many ppl have backed this up, including me. The day after I read that article that 88hybrid posted, I put acetone in my tank and i have MUCH less than I'm suppost to be using, and EVERYTHING smoothed out. Its a much nicer ride now. I would recomend it but then again there is talk about eating away at your fuel lines. Ofcourse no one reallly knows. Take a look at the article for yourself.

http://pesn.com/2005/03/17/6900069_Acetone/

Basically, HIS final synopsis is that he cannot find anything wrong with it, and has been using it for years. He says that any part that is made to deal with gasoline can deal with acetone just fine. Just read the article.

·
Registered
281 Posts
That's wild. And ya, i hadnt heard of that until today. Sounds like something to try. Lowes, here i come!

·
Registered
958 Posts
ya be careful though... Allways have it upright... Mine wasn't sealed to well at Lowe's and in my car it leaked everywhere... luckily it was in the bag and the bag didnt have any holes in it, but it could have sucked...

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
in a lot of cars, there is a little bag like thing near the fuel pump, kind of like a cheesecloth or silkscreen. it is supposed to act as kind of a pre-filter so that sediment doesn't get introduced to the fuel pump. This is the only thing I can think of which may be eaten away by acetone. However one such bag was removed from a fueltank and soaked in pure acetone (as well as an array of other fuel system parts) by one of the fuel system instructors at UTI and after a few days no damage was detectable. That above link mentioned some swelling of rubber parts after being soaked in 100% pure acetone, but do remember that 10 gals of fuel is 1280 fl.oz., adding 3 oz to that is would equal 1283 oz, so the total concentration of acetone is 0.0023%. I am almost entirely positive there would be no ill effects from such a low concentration. Ultimately, any damage to fuel lines over years of use would be easily paid for in the amount of money you'd save in gasoline alone. All I know is that I have become a believer and will probably always use acetone from here on out in my cars.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
so why isnt it in gasoline already?

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Well yeah...there are things in gasoline that shouldn't be in it so why shouldn't there be things that aren't in it that should be.
Anybody else smell a conspiracy? That was tongue in cheek BTW...
Anyways...I got some tonight (100% pure) at HEB food store. Couldn't find it at Walgreens and didn't have time for the hardware store. I'll let you know if my car blows up...

·
Registered
281 Posts
HAHA

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
did u know that there 40 diff blends of gas for this country. we in ny r forced to use a blend with mtbhe(?) in the colder months . makes us burn possiblly cleaner but we use 10- 15per more gas doing it . this chem finds it way into our drinking water .it is a known cancer causer. the end results we burn more pay more the fed gets more tax $ the oil co get more cash . and we get to go to the dirt faster. sssssssssssoooooooooooo who is complaining

·
Registered
430 Posts
The Tips be Gone acetone bottle you can find at Walmart has a flip top that makes it easy to control the amount you are putting in the tank.

Good luck finding them in the "cosmetics" section.

You do need to carry these upright in the car though. I put them in a plastic open top container behind the driver's seat...easy to get to....easy to use.

After you have a couple of these...they can be refilled from a gallon can of "100% pure" acetone....or better yet a quart beer bottle. Use a funnel and be careful...this stuff is difficult to move from one container to another.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Dad7751... i just realized you have the car that I want... give it to me... no seriously... give it to me. :p. I'll pay... seriously...

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Wow, I never thought that it would be taken to heart by so many people. It was GREAT reading, and I to have tried it. I have noticed a 10% increase in my wife car, @ 2.7 oz per 10 gallons.

and:btw: 88hybrid, thanks for the original post into this matter. and also your car is becoming a benchmark of originality and creativity. keep up the work.

Thank you for the compliments!! I am glad to be a part of this site,and an "electronic freind" to all of you!!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.