ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Allright guys, I went ahead and put 3 OZ. of Acetone in my car today, and I can allready tell its nice... My car runs smoother, and stronger, with much less hesitation. Havn't really noticed much on the gas milage but then again, I've been flooring it every time I come to a stop... No doubt it has improved my milage though.

Something I did notice though... There seems to be an odd oil smell (My rear main seal DOES leak though) in the air... Also, while I was driving after a while I felt the manual stick (metal part) and it was pretty heated up... I'd never noticed that before if it happens all the time. Does anyone else feel a nice heat sorce in your manual stick after driving a while... I guess it seems natural but I've just never noticed it.

Anyway, I don't think acetone has anything to do with that stuff, but just in case thought I'd mention it. I'm very pleased with the results and def will continue to use.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Try soaking rubber fuel lines in Acetone for a few weeks. That would be straight Acetone. Far greater than any amount in the properly mixed tank of fuel. n Thatb would be a good test. Nothing else in the system would be affected.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Acetone mixed with gasoline will degrade the fuel lines faster than gas alone but considering it's supposed to be used in such minute amounts this effect would be minimal.

Alot of the myths and "bad stuff" you hear about acetone are started by the fuel companies themselves. Using acetone in fuel has been around for decades; you'll hear so-called chemical experts etc that claim acetone will screw up your car, eat away your hoses in 5 seconds, steal your lunch money etc but they're mostly working with PURE acetone. In it's pure form it's harsh but as said earlier if you dilute it to the levels you're supposed to it's practically harmless.

What 88hybrid said is an ok idea but I suspect the rubber will be eaten away totally doing that. If you want to compare it properly mix up the same ratio of acetone vs fuel that you'll use in your car and leave a hose in that to soak.

Best bet is to research for yourself and dont listen to me or anyone else for that matter. Google is your friend.

·
Registered
430 Posts
If anything...the concentration used...at 1/3 of 1% will probably not do much more than tighten up the fuel connxs thru some slight swelling. I used in an na for a full year...no one else has reported problems with using it...except some don't see mpg gains.

It's more difficult than you'd think to keep the right ratio in the tank...get too far off and you'll lose your mpg gains.

Post Edited (Sep 15, 4:22am)

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
yea i'm trying it currently.......i have increased my gas mileage, from 15 to 19
mixed driving.......i havent noticed any preformance gains(im trying to get the best mpg possible, so im not punching it).....but it IS running MUCH smoother!!

the way i see it, if it screws up my fuel lines in like 5 years......oh well big fricken deal.......4 bucks and 5 minutes and problem solved......

·
Registered
548 Posts
Isn't it easier and safer to use an octane booster? Hybrid's right. I wouldn't be experimenting with it in my car. There has to be some kind of cumulative damage that won't show up until 6 months from now. Like the o-rings on your injectors eaten up. Or a bunch of pin holes in the bottom of your gas tank.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well. It looks like I've got 3 oz of acetone in about 19 gal of gas. I've been deceived by my fuel sending unit. But I've def noticed good things so far.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I'm going to try this tomorrow as well.. Looks like it's been a hot topic today, so might as well jump in.

And to answer the heat question in the manual, I too experience the heat build up. It's a little scary at times to feel the coins in that little tray in front of the mirror controls, but the plastic hasnt started melting, so i guess i'll live. The stick will also get hot, I just dont pay attention to it. I'll call my Z shop guy and see what he thinks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.