ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got some Hella H4s forever ago for my 300ZX, now assuming I can find them and I want to go ahead and install them, I know I need to run the headlight relays. I've done it on my 280Z so I'm familiar with it.

Where should I splice into the car's wiring to run the switch to the relay? As in, when I turn on the headlight switch in the car, the signal goes to the relay. I assume I could cut it right where it goes into the headlight, but I don't know if that's the wisest thing to do. Also, where is a good place to mount them? I know the closer they are to the battery, the better the power supply and brighter the lights, but I don't want to leave them just hanging beside the battery. If anyone has done this and knows of a good setup, lemme know...thanks!

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
If you will be using standard 55W/60W globes then I would not worry about extra relays.

AU-spec cars use 55W/60W halogen globes apparently without any more headlight switch problems than other markets experience.
Lowbeam feeds through the switch, highbeam feeds through the Passing Relay. That leaves the option open to use 55W/90W or similar.

If you must use separate relays for lowbeam, it would be simplest to intercept the standard lowbeam feed and use it to switch a couple of new relays that are fed (and fused) direct from the battery.

Things are somewhat more complicated if you have digital dash and hence a headlight sensor box for a dash warning light.

The FSM headlanp schematic and wiring diagrams display things in more detail.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm going to use relays anyways, even if they're lower wattage, they're an H4 bulb. So you're saying I can cut the wires directly from the back of the stock bulb and use that to turn my relays on?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.