ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I need to hear from those who have done this. I just replaced the AFM on my 77. My friend at the store said these can be tinkered with for more performance. I know there is a plastic gear that adjusts the spring tension for the gate to open and close. Has anyone ever loosened the tension, so that the gate opens quicker, and if so how many teeth (notches) did you loosen it up. It would seem to me that this would only increase throttle response off the line. I look forward to hearing some good advice. Thanks. John.

· Registered
567 Posts
I know this can be done. I tried it on my toyota truck, but you can't only loosen the gear, you also have to play with the timing. the performance gain is slightly noticable, but i guess everything counts. So its both the gear and timing.

· Registered
226 Posts
i have heard of 2 teeth on the 280 afm also. you might want to visit your local junkyard and find a larger one off a bmw or something. they will have to be adjusted a lot more than 2 teeth to get them to run right though. the best (most accurate) bet would be to use a oxygen sensor. good luck.
madcowz

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.