ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard several people in here saying they need a new hatch because theirs is rotting out and that people are trying to charge them a lot of money for it. I know I had that problem on my 90 tt with the flush mount wing. So i took off the wing and low and behold there was absolutely no rust on my hatch what so ever which is good because that saves me a bunch of money. Since the wing covers the back end of the hatch it would appear to most that their hatch is all rotted out when in fact it is probably just the wing itself. I'm not sure what material they used for the rear wing but in a way mine felt a little water logged and it was actually bendable. Anyways i know ionic dynamics makes a fiberglass oem replacement which would be less likely to rot. Just thought I'd give everyone a heads up before they took it to a body shop who was unfamiliar with z's and they got you the wrong stuff and charged you way to much.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea i was just warning some to look before you leap i realize some people may actually need a whole new hatch but some may be more like mine. On mine the rust and rot was only on the underside of the hatch near the taillights. and thanks for the fyi on the ionic dynamics wing i was considering that or their 99 replica wing any experience with that wing? thanks

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
i think the 99 replica wing didn't fit well either, i have no personal experince with it, but I remember some people having issues. I'm sure a good body shop could modify it to work if the fit isn't perfect. . .

·
Registered
22 Posts
How big a deal is it to remove the wing? I haven't tried it yet. Is it as simple as removing the interior panels and unbolting it?

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Removing '90-'93 wing is pretty easy, there is a write up on tt.net by YugoBernie on it..

Below is mine after removal during repaint process, mostly dirt and crud. Only slight surface rust

I would suggest that anyone who was this style wing and it is rotting, as mine was, to get a new one ASAP or risk as you say, the hatch itself being rusted out.

Post Edited (Jan 12, 3:48am)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.