ZCar Forum banner

A very very bad day for me and my Z

6K views 26 replies 18 participants last post by  ZCAR Moderator 2 
#1 · (Edited)
I haven't been here in awhile now but for those that may still remember me, this unfortunate incident happened to my beloved 240Z two months ago. Florida Intsa T-storm, poor visibilty and an instant traffic backup caused by an accident which caused another accident right in front of me. What made it even worse is just 10 minutes before the wreck I was thinking ya know after owning my 240z since 1989 this thing has never ran better in all it's life and I will never ever part with this Z.

The impact was severe and my seal belt snapped on impact from being old and dry rotted. Thankfully I had left my 50 lbs of tools in my Stang that day as the one lone screwdriver on the luggage shelf flew between the seats on impact and cracked the windshield which you can see in the attached pic on reply to this post..... I probably would not have survived at all had all those tools been thrown at my head. The only way to fix my Z would be a tube frame chasis but even that is questionable as passenger compartment is slightly warped as well. Engine still runs great only the front header tube was bent up in crash. I at least can sit in it and drive it forward and backwards for all of 30 sec but thats it since the radiator was obliterated.

I am still grieving my loss, it's as if a close family member or favorite dog died. :-(

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
man, dude i'm sorry to hear that. the important thing is that you walked away from it. but very unfortunate for your Z. so what are you going to do now? surely you can salvage most of the stuff on the car, but will you be able to straighten any of the damage?

i remember when i smacked up my 300. i was pretty devistated even though it was repairable. the same fear i have for my 280 and my zx back home... you never know what will happen out there on the road and whether it will be in or out of your control.

again sorry about you Zed. don't give up, keep your head up!

Bon

#5 ·
So glad you were not hurt badly and I feel for your loss of "your girl". I fear this kind of incident every time we take ZMystery out for a spin. Our roads have deer and little creatures which dash out in front making one try to avoid them, and the drivers from California who moved up here drive like crazy people. Again, sorry for your loss but happy for your survival.

#6 ·
Man, that really sucks. I havent been here much in the last few years, but I have been here since 1999, and I remember reading about you drag racing it and all the little tips and tricks you used to get there with the junkyard dog engine.

Really sorry to see it.

#8 ·
Norm, I was on a trip in Florida a few weeks ago. While driving north
out of Ocala on the 301, I saw a silver 240Z on what looked to be a small used car lot. It was on the southbound side. We did not turn around as we were behind schedule getting up to Orange Park. Wish now I did. I would have the details.
Not being here for awhile, trust me you have not missed anything.
I don't either.
If anything the site is less useful anymore. IMO.

#10 ·
Check on flat bed freight for a stripped chassis...

There's one waiting, transfer your parts and roll again.

No tube frame required.

It's divine intervention for associating with Fords...

#12 ·
Clint Eastwood, "Unforgiven":
'Deserves' ain't got nothin' to do with it!

#13 ·
It's good to hear you walked away. I know I've missed your contributions to the site.

#14 ·
Thanks everybody for your replies and kind words. For right now I've got it sitting in front of my Dad's house in Ocala. I'm at a New job and new city in Sarasota now so probably won't be able to mess with it for sometime. I just don't think I can bear to part with it, but circumstances may force me to do so.

#16 ·
Its good to be alive!
My first z got in a wreck in 1989 and it still stings to think of the loss.

#18 ·
Sorry to hear about your loss, man.... The mental and physical pain are bad but... BETTER than the alternative, yes?

In 1982, I'd begun a "restore back to near-stock" on my favorite of my four S30s, a '76. I'd JUST gotten the exhaust done and was driving home from the shop. Stopped at light, green, proceeded.... not for long...speeding taxicab T-boned me. Just ahead of the driver door thankfully.

I thought about it after looking at the completely crumpled front end... "I can rebuild this, I have the tools"

Uhhhh, not to be.. upon opening the hood, saw the real damage... the firewall was buckled. Settled with insurance AFTER removing what I could.... (suspension, one good Z-beam, roll bar, etc.)

Why am I telling you this? Just be careful not to let emotions get in the way of better judgement. Probably best to do what many others said, xfer the parts to a "new" chassis/body.

And then write about it for us. :grin

Good luck!!

#19 ·
Sorry to hear that Norm, I remember mine in my 83 and still haunts me sometimes. But with a cut off tool, mig welder, chain and a tahoe we got er in okay status.

On the other hand, think of it as a chance to build it bigger or better, if there is frame work, why not strengthen it? Fenders and hood and headlight buckets etc gonna be a bit tougher but I got faith you'll see her run again. Who knows, you might find inspiration, like before I sold my 83 I was thinking on making it into a "Datrod." running side pipes out the fender, grinding down the welded pannel and paint over it to match my comical looking orange door as well as put in the missing pieces from my 83 into it and taking the black trim out for my 82 as a back up parts. I also ran her a little harder too, I went snow drifting and also would smoke my classmates Acura Civic just to shut him up for kicking my tires.

don't give up on her. We got the tech!

#22 ·
Suggest since he has so much free time he should fix it if he wants it out of the yard!

Win-Win!:devil

#23 ·
Norm, I remember reading your posts years ago. I was always impressed with the performance you were getting out of your L6. I've been off doing other things for quite a while, including moving from Texas to Washington, so it's sad to see what has become of your Z. Could you not just find a decent front clip somewhere and weld it on? If it's done right it will be good as new. Hate to see that car probably end up in a crusher.

#26 ·
Hey Phantom, the cab was compromised and crushed in a bit as well or I may have considered putting a clip on it. Tony offered me a good deal on a complete straight chassis but I don't really have the money, time or a place to work on it in FL at the moment since I no longer own a home as I did in NC. Condo complexes frown on wrecked cars being worked on in the parking areas. haha

Borini63, I put it up on the zcar classifieds section yesterday so I'll see what happens.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.