ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I guess it happens to the best of us....

Yesterday I was in a great mood. I had left work early and was heading home to meet a buddy of mine and install the short throw shifter I had bought. I took a nice twisty back road and was moving pretty well. Coming out of a short distance S-curve my front driver's tire blew out. I tried counter steering to the right and easing off of the gas, but when I went right, my rear passenger tire kissed the dirt on the side of the road and I went into a spin. not a little one either. I wound up about 20-30 yards off the side of the road in a field. I am not certain as it happened pretty quick, but I am pretty sure that I bottomed out a few times in the field and spun at least 3 full revolutions.

The good side is I am fine. My lower back is a little stiff and yesterday i had a headache from ****, but I am OK. The car is the problem. The body is fairly messed up all along the under part of both sides and the front fascia took a good whacking. It is very repairable and hopefully my insurance company won't try and total the car. I figure this just advanced my schedule to have the car painted.

I know it will be fixed and that's cool, but **** it!!! My car is not in my driveway and I am not out driving it. That sucks!

I get to meet with Progresive's adjuster on monday and the shop foreman at my families shop said he will make sure that things go well. He ran his own restoration/body shop for 15 years and knows a lot about dealing with insurance claims.

Thus, I present you with, "A Really Bad Day".......

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
well, it was a bad day for the car more than you :)

at least you are OK, and about your insurance they will probably total it anyways, it's an 85 and from what you told us it has more than $1500 damage and thats probably the price of the car in KBB so kiss her bye bye.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yah... I have a crapload of receipts for it, so hopefully I can build enough value for the repair... Worst case scenario...I take their money, buy it back from the insurance company with a salvage title and start repairing it myself. I just hate that this happened.....

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Sorry to hear about your bad day! I'm glad to hear that there was no major damage. It could have been much worse!

That is why I don't have full coverage on my 85, just liability. Rather than put out the extra cash for the insurance every month I figure if I screw it up I'll either fix it or I won't. The insurance company would simply total it and give me the money and that isn't important to me. I've got 2 daily drivers I can rely on. What's important is not losing the 85 that I've invested so much of myslef into that I've had since I was 16.

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
they don't care about receipts, in fact he'll laugh at you if you mention them :)
unless you had the car appraised before then thats a different storry, other than that they will go by the book price and how much the damage.

Post Edited (Jun 25, 1:49pm)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I spoke with the adjuster and Progressive will add 60% of invoice prices to the value, however it has to be an upgrade vs. maintenance. My stereo and suspension receipts alone are more than $2500.... If he values the car at 2500, adds the 2500 in receipts, and breaks it down to 60%, I should be staring at 3g's in repair money which should cover the damage and then some... I am praying it's not a total.....So far I can track a total of 3460 in upgrades.........

·
Registered
198 Posts
When State Farm totaled my 88 Z with 150k miles, they valued mine at 2800...And I bought it back for $150 bucks. This was in march. The only damage to it was one headlight got mashed back into the hood and the bumper got pushed back some. Very fixable...I hope this info helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.