ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to NAPA yesterday to get a fuel pump for my stock 74 260Z, The gut told me $50 and that it would need to be orderd or he had a universal electric pump in stock for $55. What I am woried about is that this new pump wil some on with the key, so won't that hurt my carbs if the car is not runing? does the stock 260Z have any kind of Fuel pressure regulator stock? the guy at the counter said that I would not need a aftermarket regulator I thihk he don't know what he's talking about.

Thanks,
Tom

· Registered
3,319 Posts
Re: a question abot the electric fuel pump for my

Nah. The fuel pump has just two wire to it, and the on/off is controlled by the fuel cut relays. It should work the same as the stock unit. Just make sure the rated fuel pressure is the same or very similar to stock. Just check your FSM for the rated pressure of your pump.

· Registered
69 Posts
Re: a question abot the electric fuel pump for my

Actually, on a 260Z, fuel pump on/off is controlled by voltage regulator which in turn will operate fuel pump relay. One word of advice about NAPA electrical parts-- they are s**t. My theory has always been "if electricity runs to it or through it, don't buy it from NAPA". Also, Nissan is the only place to buy the factory electric pump, NAPA or noone else can get it (I've tried). The $50 the guy at the counter quoted you was for the mechanical pump. As for universal electric pumps, they come in different pressure ratings, and if you buy one, be sure it is rated less than 7 P.S.I.

· Premium Member
41,285 Posts
NAPA universal pump...

I bought one of these three years ago because some Einstein removed the harness from the Voltage regulator that controls the Stock pump. The unit I got from NAPA (Carter, I think...) had an INTERNAL PRESSURE SWITCH that turned it on at 2psi, and off at 5psi. You wired it to the ignition hot.
The function of the electric pump was to pre-fill the carbs after a hot shutdown percolated all the fuel out. It also helps keeping the fuel moving up to the stock mechanical pump which can get hot enough to boil the gas in stop-n-go driving!
It can be a real bear starting a 260 without an electric pump after a hot shutdown when you have to fill the carb bowls with just a hot mechanical pump.

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: NAPA universal pump...

So.... My 260 has 2 pumps stock? This is my first Z car so I guess i'm a Z-virgin. Will my 260 run on just the NAPA/Carter 12V pump? I plan to by-pass the stock mech. pump.

· Premium Member
41,285 Posts
Plan on modifying?

If you are, get a Holley Red or Blue. They are noisier, but are rebuildable, and you can run the regulator that's available up front on a bypass system to insure proper flow and pressure up front. The noise can be combatted by rubber isolators, and wrapping the motor bracket with a sheet of rubber, too.
Insulate your fuel lines, too. Anything to keep heat out of the fuel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.