ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, just thought I'd whine a bit about having to buy another new half shaft. I replaced the left side about 6 months ago, all was well. I got this thumping noise coming from the back....Humm? What could be wrong now? After much trouble (ass scratching) I discovered that someone before me (Grrrrr) had left out the spacer under the outside stub axle bearing, allowing the axle to sink too deep. Yeah this screwed up the emergency brake, made the brake pedal spongy, all kinds of good stuff, oh yeah it tore up the hub that the shaft bolts to also. But that wasn't it, thump thump thump, everytime I mashed it in a left hand turn or got on it in a straight line real hard. Ok so now I'm looking at the other half shaft real close, you see I don't really want to 'cause I'm afraid it has left for Florida so to speak (taken a vacation on me). Sure enough, I can make it make noise I can't make the new one on the other side make......**** the bad luck. Since my first race is on the 7th of March I'm hoping that thump thump thump will be cured as soon as I call Courtesy Nissan again and get another one of those $600.00 half shafts :( Oh well, that leaves only the pumpkin, and control arm bushings that have not been replaced with new factory Nissan parts. Now that I've done all my bitchin, I wouldn't treat my baby to anything less than the best, so I guess this is my valentine to my Z, a brand new right side half shaft, No, wait, I'll give the half shaft to the wife and she can loan it to me....yeah yeah that's it.

Ken

·
Registered
107,597 Posts
> Hi everyone, just thought I'd whine a bit
> about having to buy another new half shaft.
> I replaced the left side about 6 months ago,
> all was well. I got this thumping noise
> coming from the back....Humm? What could be
> wrong now? After much trouble (ass
> scratching) I discovered that someone before
> me (Grrrrr) had left out the spacer under
> the outside stub axle bearing, allowing the
> axle to sink too deep. Yeah this
> screwed up the emergency brake, made the
> brake pedal spongy, all kinds of good stuff,
> oh yeah it tore up the hub that the shaft
> bolts to also. But that wasn't it, thump
> thump thump, everytime I mashed it in a left
> hand turn or got on it in a straight line
> real hard. Ok so now I'm looking at the
> other half shaft real close, you see I don't
> really want to 'cause I'm afraid it has left
> for Florida so to speak (taken a vacation on
> me). Sure enough, I can make it make noise I
> can't make the new one on the other side
> make......**** the bad luck. Since my first
> race is on the 7th of March I'm hoping that
> thump thump thump will be cured
> as soon as I call Courtesy Nissan again and
> get another one of those $600.00 half shafts
> :( Oh well, that leaves only the pumpkin,
> and control arm bushings that have not been
> replaced with new factory Nissan parts. Now
> that I've done all my bitchin, I wouldn't
> treat my baby to anything less than the
> best, so I guess this is my valentine to my
> Z, a brand new right side half shaft, No,
> wait, I'll give the half shaft to the wife
> and she can loan it to me....yeah yeah
> that's it.

> Ken
Put in a good used one they are a dime a dozen

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thought about that

> Put in a good used one they are a dime a
> dozen

Since the car is being prepped for a heavy dose of AutoX action (twice a month) for the next nine months. I considered a used one, but with out knowing how much time is left on it??? I want to roll back as much of the 180 thou miles as I can. I expect no quarter from this car, so I try to keep up my end of the bargain, and feed her the best parts I can buy, it's just expensive sometimes. BTW she's getting a new Centerforce clutch before the 7th also....I have no doubt that she will pay me back in some fast fun rides this season. You can check her out at: <A HREF=http://209.39.254.202/1998/11/index.htm>http://209.39.254.202/1998/11/index.htm</A>

Ken

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.