ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

A good DEAL!!!

510 views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  88hybrid 
#1 ·
DEAL

Someone tell me this isn't a good deal. only has about 80K on it. I live not too far away from Huntsville. Maybe someone here should buy it. I would love to buy this car but I have not the cash. If someone here wants it I will hook you up with it just to assure that is put into the right hands. LaterZ.

#2 ·
Consider the Black primered, or factory new clip. May have hidden damage. Low mileage on old car is not always the best. The maintenace items on higher mileage cars, that where daily driven, but well cared for are most likely kept up better. On a low mileage car, anybody (most people) would probably have the " i dont drive it much" attitude, and they slacked on the maintenance. Plus old oil seals that sit, are more prone to leak. ect..ect...

Now... if it was kept up, with a maintenace log, and there was no damage, and the front was painted. It would be a "pretty" good deal

right now its a judgement call, that will require a good look. Could be a Diamond in the Rough.

Post Edited (Oct 1, 2:48pm)

#3 ·
I dont agree, sorry. My 88 SS with 78k on it doesnt leak or anything. my 86 Turbo with 128k did have a few oil leaks, and other problems. Being driven less means nothing IMO. If the owner has the records to back up maintenance that is what counts. Also garage kept is good too. my 88 was.

though on the other hand my 79 pontiac with 70k on it was a lemon. nothing worked right on it. my grandmother never maintained it.

point is...its a gamble. Id rather have a lower mileage car if given the choice.

Post Edited (Oct 1, 12:55pm)

#4 ·
Yeah my 85 has 155k and rising. A lot of things are begining to show their age and I saw this as a chance to get a car that would be easier to fix up. But like you said, if it hasn't been taken care of I may be better off with the car I have. I have already done TONS of maintenance to my car but it still needs more...oh well. Here is what I have done so far:

Timing belt and tensioner,
water pump, CHTS, MAF, cam seals, all new belts,
radiator and bypass hoses,
all new 12 lifters, intake manifold gasket,
valve cover gaskets, new plugs wires, cap and rotor, (all Nissan Parts)
changed all the fluids in: transmission, differential, coolant, engine, etc. Rear hatch struts, all new front and rear brakes and front rotors,
new fan clutch, K&N Filter and 2.5 exhaust with a straight through muffler, new tires Fuzion ZRI's, new headliner, new windshield,
new headlight switch, and had to put pass side mirror on (thanks to a
F$%$ing deer).
All work was done by me except windshield, exhaust, and tires.

Maybe after that investment I don't think I could sell my car...lol.

Car still needs: New front struts (not bad I just want Tokico's),
steering rack and pump, probly new alternator (power steering leaked all over it. new carpet, new steering wheel, new front left fender, and i need to replace all vaccum hoses but i dreading changing those hoses under the dash.

So I guess I can't sell this car BUT I STILL WANT ANOTHER!!! WAAAAHHH!! LOL I also want a 240Z and a 280ZXT. I guess I need to play the lottery more often or invent something....crap i thought everything was gonna be GIVEN to me and i wouldnt have to work for it.....woe is me...lol
LaterZ.

#5 ·
This is what the hobby is all about. Either you buy a cream puff or you buy cheap knowing you'll have to work on it to get things right. You can resurrect one of these cars, or spend $$$ trying to restore it, or modifiy the crap out of it. It's all up to you. The value on them has been low enough that many were purchased by folks who could pay for the car but not the maintenance. Just like XKE Jaguars, some Vettes, Camaros, Mustangs, when I was a teenager back in the late 70's.

#7 ·
I agree Hybrid. Gaskets and seals have a life. Electrical components corrode. What I was getting at was how much work can someone do for themself. We all agree you're a grade A mechanic and extremely competent. I'm lucky enough to be pretty handy too. Some of these guys aren't. There are guys on this forum I'd bet you wouldn't let change the distributor cap in you car. Why buy a 20 year old car you can't fix yourself. Plus how long are some of these guys going to own the car? No sense in cobbing it up for the next owner.

#10 ·
As Hybrid said.........I believe he used the term "Diamond in the rough." Hang on to your t-tops ya'll cause you're gonna start seeing a LOT of those (not just Z cars) showing up on the lots all over the southeast and Atlantic coast area that were flood cars from Katrina and Rita. Yup......someone will think they're getting a **** of a deal and get sucked into buying one. Look over your next used vehicle purchase REAL close before you sign on the dotted line.

#11 ·
I see what you mean...I thought at first glance that that was just a bra...lol guess it pays to study the picture. Everyone has made a good point, I may go and look at the car, just to see if its a POS or actually a "diamond in the rough" ...lol. I'll take pics and stuff if i get time to look at it, but now that I think about it, i dont really need another car right now, and I'm not going to sell my Black Betty. (NOT trying to coin off 88hybrid's Black Bitch, its just that my car is black and betty bitches...lol). Well I guess someone will get a good deal, or buy a pain in the ass. I will be content with my car in the meantime. Also, if i was going to buy another Z, I'm thinking I would want an 87-89 preferably 87 so i have the T3, (thanks again for the correction AZ, I shall NEVER forget that the 87 has a T3 thanks to you..lol), well I'm going to bed, LaterZ.

#12 ·
I bought it!!!

The front clip had just been painted because the PO had done some sanding on it where it had faded. I have had about 10 Z cars so I know what to look for and the car has never been wrecked and it is in amazing shape considering it is 20 years old. I am about to paint the whole car anyway so it didn't bother me about the front end since it wasn't a repalcement bumper. The car runs fantastically well. The only thing it needs is a speedo cable - everything else works on the car including the original factory radio and the talking computer. I also bought it for a lot less than his asking price. It now is sitting in my shop ready for painting.

Bob

Post Edited (Oct 4, 6:46am)

#13 ·
HOLY CRAP thats awsome BOB! I'm glad that worked out for yah and that it was a good deal and all. Post lots of pictures and let me know how it all works out for yah. LaterZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.