ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The a/c on my '74 260 recently stopped working. The system is mostly non-factory, but had a factory style Hitachi compressor. The evaporator was what I guess was an aftermarket unit that mounts under the dash on the passenger side under the glove box. The receiver/dryer also looks non-factory.

I suspect the problem is the compressor, because the compressor was oil covered. I got another compressor from the junk yard and also had to replace the condensor because I broke the old one while disconnecting the lines. Anyway, I bolted in the compressor, and hooked up the lines, and took it to the shop to have them add freon. Before they would add the freon, they suggested vacume testing the system to make sure it was sealed. It FAILED. There is a leak somewhere. The mechanic suspects that the high pressure lines are not sealing properly at the connections (they are not the type with o-rings.) He had no suggestion other than basically replace everything (compressor, lines, condensor, and possibly even the evaporator). The price of this stuff is ridiculously high.

I know Motorsport sells a complete a/c kit. Anyone ever tried it. The price is like $675 or something. Any other suggestions? thoughts?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone Who Buys...

electrical components from a junk yard might just as well save time and gas by staying home and putting a lit match to his money. Junk yards are great for hard parts, seats and such, bit when it comes to things that have to work, like electrics, complete engines, radiators and shocks, you'd have about as much chance of success with a lottery ticket.

Since your 260's a/c system is aftermarket anyhow, why not check out the component prices in a J.C. Whitney catalog? There may also be a source of rebuilt compressors near you. See the paper Yellow Pages or the ones at http://www.lycos.com. I think you can beat $675 by about $400 if you're willing to do a little shopping.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can get this stuff (don't know what it's called) that, after putting it in your ac system, will colorize wherever it leaks out of the system, identifying the holes for you. As far as parts goes, If you live anywhere near Blacksburg, Virginia, I've got 2 Hitachi compressors that I believe are still good, along with most of the factory AC components from a 75 280z that, unless I can give them away, will probably end up in the trash.

Cooper260 wrote:
-------------------------------
The a/c on my '74 260 recently stopped working. The system is mostly non-factory, but had a factory style Hitachi compressor. The evaporator was what I guess was an aftermarket unit that mounts under the dash on the passenger side under the glove box. The receiver/dryer also looks non-factory.

I suspect the problem is the compressor, because the compressor was oil covered. I got another compressor from the junk yard and also had to replace the condensor because I broke the old one while disconnecting the lines. Anyway, I bolted in the compressor, and hooked up the lines, and took it to the shop to have them add freon. Before they would add the freon, they suggested vacume testing the system to make sure it was sealed. It FAILED. There is a leak somewhere. The mechanic suspects that the high pressure lines are not sealing properly at the connections (they are not the type with o-rings.) He had no suggestion other than basically replace everything (compressor, lines, condensor, and possibly even the evaporator). The price of this stuff is ridiculously high.

I know Motorsport sells a complete a/c kit. Anyone ever tried it. The price is like $675 or something. Any other suggestions? thoughts?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<b>RE: A/C Woes!! Cant't believe the $$$$!!</b>

Despite what Slim might say about lowering your cost on these parts, there is no cheap way out of redoing your A/C. My prices in PA are $375 for the compressor with clutch assy, $80 for the drier, $120 for the lines(mostly factory spec stuff), and about $5 per can for the R134. All of this is available from your local parts store and will be necessary for old systems, especially as good quality R12 dries up in supply. I almost daily refuse to sell A/C stuff to anybody but pro shops due to the complex equipment and procedures, even though I have the stuff on my shelf for sale to anybody, due to the fact that if something goes bad, me as the parts person will be blamed for any failures on the equipment. Last summer I sold over 20 new style(R134) a/c setups to my local shops and only had one comeback for compressor failure. All of the stuff I sell is reman, unless otherwise requested by the shop. I would figure that if all the stuff that I mention is included in the bill then I would go for it. This was a too long message, but needed for your situation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.