ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couple of questions from waaay over on the west coast of Canada (Vancouver Island, North of Seattle)

My a/c works only sporadically when I have it turned on. I had it checked out by a friend and he told me that it was the internal temp sensor which is hooped. My question is, my haynes doesn't show the **** thing. Any idea where it is?

Any hints/tips on replacing my alternator (not like it's a hard job) ?

Picked up my baby (79 280zx,5sp, 128k kms not miles) for $600 Canadian at an auction. Have replaced **** near everything (it feels like)
Is there anything about to die that 280's are famous for that I should be worried about fixing?

Thx
S

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
<b>RE: A/C internal temp</b>

I recently converted my r-12 system into 134a and I don't remember seeing a internal temp sensor either. I do know that there is a pressure sensor thats suppose to turn off the compressor if the internal pressure gets too high, maybe thats what he is talking about. However my guess would be that you need a recharge of feon. Maybe your friend already checked that, but if not check that.

I don't know what you've replaced already, but fuel injectors tend to start leaking (about $45-$60 each) and head gaskets usually go around 100k (miles).

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, he said there's an a/c internal temp sensor, and if the temp in the passenger compartment isn't warm enough, it won't turn the a/c on.

If it isn't that then, does anybody have any idea why the a/c would turn off and on for no bloody reason? &-)

S

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The switch I am aware of does not monitor the internal temp of the car, rather the temp of the internal expansion valve and "radiator". It checks to see if it is going to freeze up, causing air not to flow. So in a sense it does monitor internal temp. This part can be expensive, and if it is looped there is nothing to keep the expansion valve from freezing. (water freezes on the outside of the coil from the condensed water) No this is OK as long as you only run it on hot days and if you notice the air temp from the vent rise, you know the condenser is freezing up. Now the same problem can be caused by a bad expansion valve, not enough freon, or a weak compressor. The most likely candidate is low freon. If the switch it looped. (Sometimes called a thermostat switch) you can pull one off of a junker or look to pay @$50-100 for one. I had this problem on my 320i. I will look in my 280ZX book tonight to find out more. I have a 280ZX that I am parting out. If we can identify the part you are looking for, I will pull it and sell it for a reasonable (I have no clue the used value) price plus shipping. Let me know.

Bean Bandit

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.