Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Questions:

1. Can I remove the belt that wraps the a/c compressor, since I don't use it, and use a similar, shorter belt instead?

2. Can I remove the a/c compressor completely? Would there be any negative consequences to it?

3. Would doing 1 and 2 net me any performance? I would think I could gain a few hp with one less accessory to spin, and a shorter belt to boot.

Thanks in advance, guys

Q

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
1A. Yes you can take it off. You can use a shorter belt if you really want to. What do you plan on driving with this shorter belt?
2A. You can remove the compressor completely. How you de-gas the system is up to you. Only negative consequence is no more aircon.
3A. A bit.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1. Sorry, I hate being vague but in this case I hadn't checked to see what else the A/C belt might be driving. Is that belt driving any other accessories? If not, I'll remove it completely.

2. My system is out of freon anyway, so I effectively have no aircond. Plus, out here I don't really need it. Since that's the case, do I still need to "de-gas" the system, and where can I find instr. on doing it if I need to?

Oh yeah.......thanks a lot for the response and info!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
beastslayer,

now I am being rude in return.

1. If you can't supply an answer or don't think the question is valid, please refrain from responding. Wanna-be smart-a** answers don't help at all and just take up space. If I hadn't looked, there wouldn't have been such a detailed question. I asked it because I can't SEE what else besides the crank the belt may be connected to. If you have the answer, feel free to respond. If not, continue to lurk silently. What you do and what you know is useless to me if you keep it to yourself.

·
Registered
667 Posts
true enough but you yourself said "Sorry, I hate being vague but in this case I hadn't checked"

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
True enough. Can't argue my own words. In that case, thanks for the good advice. :)

Anyway, removed the belt and the car didn't blow up after all. Haven't noticed any significant difference but have only been in city driving today. I'll work on removing the A/C system after I've done a bit more reading.

Thanks Mr.T, 88, beast.

Post Edited (Jul 27, 3:59pm)

·
Registered
572 Posts
Removing the A/C doesn't affect it at all man. You can just pull it out. I've done it before.

I must note that in my experience, I have never, and I do mean NEVER, noticed any HP increases by removing the A/C. The only thing I've noticed is that it runs pretty darn close to the way it runs when you run the car with the A/C off and that's about it.

The reason I think most people pull the A/C is a) because it does break and is costly to fix and b) it does take up a lot of space and makes working on the car alot easier when the A/C is gone. The best HP gains I've ever noticed in any car has been removing all those useless smog control devices!!!!! But then again I live in So. Fla. and we don't have emission laws so if you don't live in a state that doesn't have emission laws I don't recommend the latter!

·
Registered
447 Posts
This is for "huss"...
Could you possibly talk to me about removing useless smog hardware? I also live in FL and had thought about that a while ago. But I don't know anybody who's done it. Actually I put up a question last week about removing the AFM...is that a smog control device? I got a few negative comments about that one...

·
Registered
572 Posts
King, no, do not remove the AFM. Remember that Z's are fuel injected; they need that sucker! My experience with Z's in the smog category are limited.

My experience is with other vehicles, particularly f-bodies (third gen) and corvettes that had tons of smog devices attached to them that completely robbed the engine of HP. Pulling out the smog pump, cutting off all of those metal hoses that connected to the pump and the manifold and plugging those holes with some plugs made a big difference in HP. It would feel like a whole new car.

Note I never specified the Z in particular when talking about yanking out smog devices, I simply made a comparison. I know that an older dude that had the most beautiful 280zx I'd ever seen, told me he would remove the "can" from the 280 and it gave him a little extra power. However, this could be something we could figure out together. Just food for thought. Time to do some reading and probing!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.