ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the a/c in a manual 79 zx worth restoring to R12 setup? I've had two different mechanics tell me that the system isn't that well designed and would leak out in 2 years or so. If I go to 134a I'll need a new drier and compressor and the new hi/lo lines I put in may be too low pressure to use as well. I could get a R12 look-alike I am told however so instead of 134a I could go back to the lower pressure refrigerant I suppose. Is the there any particular history regarding a/c I should know about to help me decide? Thanks. Allen.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> Is the a/c in a manual 79 zx worth restoring
> to R12 setup? I've had two different
> mechanics tell me that the system isn't that
> well designed and would leak out in 2 years
> or so. If I go to 134a I'll need a new drier
> and compressor and the new hi/lo lines I put
> in may be too low pressure to use as well. I
> could get a R12 look-alike I am told however
> so instead of 134a I could go back to the
> lower pressure refrigerant I suppose. Is the
> there any particular history regarding a/c I
> should know about to help me decide? Thanks.
> Allen.

The r12 is increasingly hard to find and getting expensive, but this old style works a lot better than the r134a setup. It cools faster and requires less overall pressure to work. If your hoses and dryer and compresser are in good shape, then the r12 should last in the car for quite a while. To convert to 134a is costly at first but the refidgerant is more readily available (I can get a can at wal-mart for $5). I would have your system pressure tested. If all is well, then fill it up with r12 and chill out. If it is shot than convert it, as you will have to do it eventually.
JN
BTW my 78 z has the original setup in it and the last time it was charged was in '85. It, to this day, will blow steam out the vents. As far as it only lasting 2 years, I'd say the tech. was in it for the money.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.