ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
5,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. where can I get a fiberglass cowl induction hood for my 77 280z? I saw one on a web site a while back and now that I'm getting my car painted soon I want to get one.

2. where can I get fiberglass head light buckets, or do these even exist?

3. what brand and model ignition system should I get for my 280z along with what kind of coil and wires? Also do I need an adapter for the speedo if I get an ignition system?

4. What other little things can I do to possibly make my 280z faster? I've already got the intake, exhuast, high flow cat, and headers. I plan to do the ignition system next but what else can I do that wont cost 500 bucks or more? Keep in mind I'm only slightly mechanicaly inclined so most likely I would have to pay to have the mods installed.

5. Can I get any power out of switching out the fuel pump and fuel injectors with a 280zx turbo fuel pump and injectors? Just curious about this.

Thanks everyone.

· Registered
651 Posts
I can only answer the one about the headlight buckets. Most of the ones for sale new are metal. I got fiberglass ones thru Courtesy Nissan (via Japan) but even Courtesy was shocked they were glass and not metal. Just the luck of the draw I was told. Some folk like to fill in the seams and make it a smooth line from windshield to bumper. Metal ones help.

· Registered
572 Posts
I installed an MSD 6AL with Blaster II coil. This isn't going to give you any real power increase - but will improve driveability and reliability and set you up for more mods. I'd say a new cam would probably give you the best bang for the buck if you can stretch to it. Oh, Taylor make excellent plug wires.

· Registered
996 Posts
1 & 2: dont know
3. Most people seem satisifed with the MSD line, as others have offered, the 6al with blaster II is the most popular. MSD also makes arguably the best wires also but they're not cheap.
4 &5. the turbo fuel pump and injectors will give you more fuel but unless you're flowing the air needed you'll only run rich. I'd consider a turbo afm (use the resistor parts from your existing afm) and a 300zx or 240sx throttle body. That way you can flow more air (and convert to a cable operated throttle). Once you can flow the air, then you might be able to max out the injectors you have and may need the turbo (bigger) injectors. Its unlikely that these changes will require the additional flow of the turbo fuel pump.
Dan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.