ZCar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 300zx TT nonturbo has coolent leaking. the water starts to leak when I turn the car off. I looked at the bottom of my car and I found my crank pully is dripping. Any idea what the issue is? :confused: It does not make sense to me that the crank pulley leaks. I'm guessing something that leaks on it. Any help will be appreciated

Attachments

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Mr. 007

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I am willing to bet the farm your water pump is on life support and will not last much longer.

The water pump has a "weep" hole just under the pulley shaft and once the pump seals go the shaft will leak through this hole. It will drip down the front of the engine and end up leaking out of the timing belt cover at the crank pulley.

You need to replace the pump which means you will have to remove the radiator, timing belt covers, timing belt, tensioner, thermostat, etc.

It is not a pleasant job to undertake.

Sorry for the bad news.

MaxDoc

·
Registered
100 Posts
My 300zx TT nonturbo has coolent leaking. the water starts to leak when I turn the car off. I looked at the bottom of my car and I found my crank pully is dripping. Any idea what the issue is? :confused: It does not make sense to me that the crank pulley leaks. I'm guessing something that leaks on it. Any help will be appreciated
As one who has gone thru the task of replacing the water pump, let me make some suggestions as to what else to look for/consider once you have gone to the trouble to remove the radiator, et. al., to get to the pump.
1. Replace the serpentine belt, power steering and alternator belts.
2. Remove the two bypass castings, one of which mounts the water temp sensors, and the hoses. Inspect the hoses for cracking, and inspect the castings for internal pitting and corrosion. This might be the source of your leak(s) as mine were almost rusted through in several places.
3. Thoroughly inspect the radiator. Consider a replacement from The Radiator Barn.
4. Inspect the power steering pump and the pressure side hose assembly for leakage.
5. Inspect the alternator.
6. Consider replacing the belt tensioner.
7. Replace the two sensors found in the bypass casting.
I hope this helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts