ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello my buddie has a '95 Eclipse Gst w/ manual boost contoller, side mount intercooler ,turbo timer...etc.He has problems with his boost. Sometimes it will spike up to 18lbs and we have to turn it down or it will fall down to 10lbs.He was set running 14lbs for a long time no problem.I dont know too much about turbos really any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
its a 4G63, that is the problem ;)

Superdave said exactly what I was thinking

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
what kind of manual boost controler does he have? Is it a name brand unit, or one that was built (like a grainger valve)? You may have an issue with the boost controller as well. Disconnect the boost controller and drive it for awhile and see if you still have the same problem. Also, what blow-off a valve is he running. I've seen many of the stock ones (1st and 2nd gen) blow off under boost while at full throttle.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok the other day he messed with the BOV turning it from hard to soft could that have an effect?His boost controller is blue is green and i cant remeber the name I'll find out to night though.Thanks for the help so far!

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
yes, if he turned it to soft, he lowered the release pressure. If its blowing off...it could very well be your problem or atleast a big part of it. Turn it back to the hrad er setting and see if it helps.

·
Registered
405 Posts
it could be the boost controller my eclipse used to have this cheap homemade boost controller and it would spike all the time especially when it was cold couldn't figure it out till I blew my engine and rebuilt it and the boost was doing some funny stuff on the freeawy one day. Apparently the ball gets stuck in it much more when its cold.

If he's got some cheap looking MBC then ditch it, i replaced mine with a turbonetics worx great.

man those 4G63s piss me off swap in some injectors and you can crank up the boost to 20psi already whew and if you got a bigger turbo it just flies. here I'm stuck at the lower boost levels with my eclipse and Z.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.