Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any thoughts?
i'm going to look at a 91TT tomorrow. it cranks but doesnt start.
car is said to be very nice body , paint , and blk leather interior perfect.
aftermarket big brakes with new wheels and tires.
might be able to pick it up for $3K.
i must assume i wont be lucky enough to have a simple engine repair and that it will need an engine swap.
that being said....what is a going price for a TT engine assy and do you guys think its a worthy project.
this all depends that when i see it tomorrow, it is as nice as they say

thanks

·
Registered
6,566 Posts
Definitely worth it if the above said are in good condition. If you do it yourself, figure you can have another TT motor in there for ~2k said and done. Sounds like a good deal!

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks.....i'll be looking at the car at noon tomorrow to see if it is as nice as they say

·
Registered
152 Posts
my bet will be that its timing belt broke and itll need new heads. IMO tho if you rgoing to buy a car with the intent on replacing the engine. buy yourself a nice N/A and do a TT swap. you will save on insurance and you can shop around for a color you want. alot of clean N/A's are going for the 3-4k range lately. then youll already be ahead of some of us TT guys - already having that N/A rear diff in it. then you could choose a slicktop or a 2+2.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have a clean 93 vert and a 94 N/A. i guess thats why i am considering this one to add a TT to the mix

i have a spare N/A diff. are they that much better ?

Post Edited (Jan 18, 10:09pm)

·
Registered
6,566 Posts
Sorry JTMTT, but IMO that would not be a good alternative in this situation.

A TT with bigger brakes, wheels and tires, in supposedly good shape, for $3k.. will beat any deal you'll find on an n/a. It costs $$ to convert the n/a, remember?

Just my .02

·
Registered
673 Posts
quite so JTMTT, but if the car he's looking at is in great shape and he's going to throw in a new engine anyways.... he might as well go for it... plus it'll be way less work replacing an engine in a TT than doing a conversion.
do it! dooo it! lol

·
Registered
10,805 Posts
sj all 91+ N/As and all TTs had the same brakes. If you were doing it for flat out performance the N/A would be the better starting platform but im guessing this isnt the case in which point sounds like a good deal. Just dont fix the car before you had them the money find the simple problem (like the car being out of gas) after you buy it and have it home.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i'm curious to see if its a simple engine problem or an ugly one. time will tell.
they say it cranks over good and sounds good cranking ,so that leads me to believe the belt didnt break and take out the valves.
i'm sure i wont be lucky enough that its an easy fix. that way i wont be upset when it needs a whole new engine assy....lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.