ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of any affordable shops in west palm beach florida that work on z's? My z has not been shifting into second gear. Ive let it sit in my driveway for about 4 months since it stopped shifting into second gear. Its a 91 automatic n/a. Everyone i know is telling me to sell the car but i don't think i"ll get as much for it, I would rather fix the issue. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
For something like a transmission, I'd say just bring it into any trans shop as I don't think that would require very specific "z" knowledge. I just moved out of WPB and the only actual Z shop I remember was in Ft. Lauderdale... on Congress? I can't quite remember.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
How many miles are on the transmisssion?

·
Registered
9,534 Posts
degneratekent, is Palm Performance Nissan no longer open next to that dealership on Military Trail just south of Southern on the right? Dude named Mike Wade used to own it, he was a bit of an *******, but it was the only "Z specialty" shop in palm beach county that I knew about when I lived there. There also used to be one in Ft Lauderdale that i'm pretty sure closed down.

If you're willing to take the car up to Lake Park/North Palm beach, theres a shop called North Palm Beach Japanese Auto care, while they dont specialize in Zs or Nissans, the two brothers that own that shop know their way around a Z32, they were the only people other than myself to ever touch any of my Zs. Call 561 844 0600, unless they hired someone, you'll either talk to Mark or Ronnie.

Last idea would be to contact "Westpak" who is the current president of the South Florida Z Car Club. www.SFZCC.com he also posts here, TT.net and 300zxclub under that name. Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@ Luminar i have not been to palm beach performance but i did take the car to north palm japanese before i had the problem shifting. I spoke to mark and paul the are pretty good guys. They replaced the knock sensor and the speed sensor but for some reason the speed sensor didn't work. They told me that problem could be anything from the efi harness to the computer or tranny. I was told that i would end up spending alot of money and the problem might still not be resolved. So i decided to just drive the car out. Ive' just let the car sit for about 4 or 5 months. Do you think the injectors would get dirty letting it sit that long? I wanted to tow the car to a shop but i'll probably get charged out *** in fees. Is palm beach performance expensive? I also heard about a place called HP LOgic
Luminar said:
degneratekent, is Palm Performance Nissan no longer open next to that dealership on Military Trail just south of Southern on the right? Dude named Mike Wade used to own it, he was a bit of an *******, but it was the only "Z specialty" shop in palm beach county that I knew about when I lived there. There also used to be one in Ft Lauderdale that i'm pretty sure closed down.
Lake Park/North Palm beach, theres a shop called North Palm Beach
If you're willing to take the car up to Lake Park/North Palm beach, theres a shop called North Palm Beach Japanese Auto care, while they dont specialize in Zs or Nissans, the two brothers that own that shop know their way around a Z32, they were the only people other than myself to ever touch any of my Zs. Call 561 844 0600, unless they hired someone, you'll either talk to Mark or Ronnie.

Last idea would be to contact "Westpak" who is the current president of the South Florida Z Car Club. www.SFZCC.com he also posts here, TT.net and 300zxclub under that name. Good luck.
Luminar said:

·
Registered
7,390 Posts
1) Find a shop that will do a JDM tranny swap... auto trannys are CHEAP...

2) The speed sensor not working is a WEAK EXCUSE.... it's easy to figure out if you KNOW where to look!

Mike

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Mr. degeneratekent

In order for the AT to shift properly the TPS, Revolution sensor, Speed sensor and the Inhibitor switch must be in good working order. Since you know the speed sensor or speed sensor circuit is not working start there. Test the sensor by inserting a thin wire in pin out terminal 27 of the AT unit. Wrap the thin wire around the positive lead on a volt meter and ground the other lead. Drive the car slowly (about 2-3MPH) and note the voltage reading. Voltage should vary from 0-5volts. If no voltage then the sensor or harness needs to be inspected. I would start with the harness by disconnecting the harness at the speed sensor and see if you have continuity from pin 27 to the sensor harness on the signal lead. If not then the harness has a break somewhere. If there is continuity then the sensor is bad.
MaxDoc

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.