ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my Antenna broke and I went to napa for a replacement and its not working it doesn't go up. I don't want to go to nissan it will cost to much. any suggestion for an after market antenna where and how much

·
Registered
447 Posts
Zazupilot - Where does this secondary antenna plug into the stereo? I was going to eventually get around to replacing my power antenna as well since it is broken off. Also I am in the middle of a lot of interior work and have the stereo pulled out right now. So I could be sure to hook up the secondary antenna to the stereo if it was a seperate plug/harness than the main power antenna.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Excellent. Maybe I should just remove my power antenna altogether and seal up the hole? I'm suspecting a water leak at that location right now... The antenna has been broken off about halfway down the mast, leaving a hole at the top of the mast that water could possibly run down into when driving in rain, etc. Plus it looks ugly when broken.

·
Registered
6,813 Posts
Here's a old posting regarding the two-antenna system. If you are using an aftermarket stereo -- just reversing the black diversity plug (prongs fliped around) will switch the antennas around for you...

++++++++PREVIOUS POSTING 3/3/04 ++++++++++

THIS TIP ONLY APPLIES TO AFTERMARKET (NON BOSE ) CAR RADIOS

There is a very easy and cheap way to improve the radio reception on most aftermarket radio systems installed in the Z. Similiar to other Nissan cars, the Z was fitted at the factory with a TWO antenna system. One antenna is the retracting outside mast and the other antenna is the defogger wire on the rear hatch window.

The Bose system was built to get a radio signal from both of these antennas and then automatically switch to the strongest signal it detected. As the car travels, best signal strength changes between the mast and the rear defogger wire and the radio works to give listeners the best sound. This is somethimes call DIVERSITY reception or monitoring.

Most (if not all) aftermarket radio systems have ONLY 1 antenna line input. They can't make use of the Z's two antenna system. Replacing a Bose system with an aftermarket system requires the purchase of a DIVERISTY antenna adapter connector. It converts the Z's two antenna connector plug so an aftermarket radio can be connected to the MAST antenna. It is very easy to modify the Z OEM Diversity connector so that both antenna signals are fed into your aftermarket radio system. This mod does NOT give you diversity switching -- but it does increase the car's total antenna size (mast + defogger together).

Here some pictures and the how to...

Locate this connector behind your aftermarket radio system - you'll need to remove the Z's center console trim panel and take out your radio system.

Here's how it looks pulled apart...

This 2 pronged plug goes to both of the Z's antennas (one for mast, one for defogger grid). The MODIFICATION is to wrap a very fine piece of wire across the two antenna prongs to short them together -- this is what ties the two antenna systems together for your aftermarket radio. I would recommend using either #22 or #24 guage single strand wire -- one and half wraps around each prong is fine. Wire can not be thick - must be fine.

VERY IMPORTANT - make sure that all ends of wire strand are cut/trimed and pushed around prongs, nothing should be touching outside parts of plug. Once done, carefully push the two connector ends back together. On my Z the adapter wires were long enough to re-locate it to the front console area just below my digital clock. Makes it very easy in the future if I decide to remove the MOD -- don't have to take out the radio system to reach it, just need to remove the center console trim piece.

Hope you find this trick useful - it helped a lot with my Kenwood system.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
applies to all z32 models. possibly not the verts though, i don't think they have a rear window antennae.

edit: spelling

Post Edited (Jan 23, 10:28am)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
without an retracking antenna I don't get a signal I have antenna in the hatch but don't know if it hooked up. is it hooked up with the retracking one?

·
Registered
6,813 Posts
No they are seperate deals with a

coax wire running from the rear up to center console for each.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.