ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for the good service provided here.

While driving today, the engine began running as if it were firing on only four, I pulled over and just before I turned it off, a plume of blue smoke came out of the exhausts and I smelled a strong gas odor.
I waited several minutes and tried to start it and on an intermittent basis, it would turn over but not start. Then it acted as if it the starter motor was locked up and would not turn over at all.

I had a similar problem before when, after driving for 10 miles or so, it would not restart. Later, when it was taken off the tow truck, it started right up. Did not have the starter issue, though. Help!

·
Registered
7,390 Posts
OHHHHHH stop right now... sounds like an injector stuck open and is flooding a ( or more ) cylinders with fuel.....

NOT GOOD!

Pull plugs, have a looksee... do a compression test while your down there.

Mike

·
Premium Member
9,534 Posts
before you guys scare the **** out of this kid, check your codes. I'm willing to place money on you having an issue with your coolant temp sensor (2 wire plug on your coolant pipe). Make sure its not corroded. When it goes, it causes issues running when warm, or warm staring, or cold starting or running cold. usually as the temp increases in the car, your problem gets worse or better with the failure of this sensor/connection.

·
Registered
7,390 Posts
Ok Lum.....

Next logical guess.... ( using the Oujai board ) Code 13...
On the front of the engine... look here
http://www.z32photoguide.com/sensors.html#sensors
The one to the left ( 2 pin connector, yellow ) .. tells the ECU if the engine is hot or cold
The injector system will fatten up the mix if the engine is COLD...
If the car is warm/ hot and the sender is funky the ECU will think the car is COLD... the mix will be TO RICH to allow the car to start or run..

Pop the connector & clean it up ( Search " Green death" )

NOW Lum... this is the scary bit

"Then it acted as if it the starter motor was locked up and would not turn over at all."

I believe this warrants a recomendation of a plug pull.... if nothing else to see the condition of said plugs...

Mike

·
Premium Member
9,534 Posts
Yeah, but i'm going on the basis that his idea of "motor sounded locked up" is the same as our idea of the battery cranking with a weak cycle or something. I'm not there so I dont know. But i figured he doesnt have extensive mechanical background, and codes/one plug is easier than all the coil packs/balance tube and plugs. =]

·
Registered
7,390 Posts
True my chilly friend.....

But what is the expression.... fish or cut bait?? Gotta turn the wrench to get the experience points... or ya sitting on the sidelines...
Ok codes first......
http://www.ttzd.com/tech/diagnostictech.html

Mike

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for your responses. I've been away and could not get back to the post. Here's what's happened since my original post: I let the car sit overnight and before trying to start it, checked all the fluids. It cranked right up, although it took a few spins of the engine to crank. It still ran rough so I drove it approximately one mile to a mechanic who I know. He removed the plugs and found them extremely fouled. He also did the compression check and found compression to be OK. He checked the codes and found none. He had it for 3 days and it never gave the problem again.
At this point, I am going to clean the front coolant sensor as suggested but my Z guy is going to get it this weekend and go through it. He thinks it could be the 02 or other sensors. He also said that this model did not produce an engine light or code with a failure of the sensors. Again, thank you for your insight and suggestions.

·
Registered
7,390 Posts
And do clean that temp sensor asap!

Mike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.