ZCar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My hood latch is stuck and can't get hood open. Any suggestions for a fix will be appreciated. Got work to do in the engine compartment. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,812 Posts
Per the tt.net posting, try pushing down on the hood while someone pulls the release lever? If that doesn't work - there's no great solution for fixing.

Someone posted on this years ago - had to do some metal cutting to get it undone....very messy.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Per the tt.net posting, try pushing down on the hood while someone pulls the release lever? If that doesn't work - there's no great solution for fixing.

Someone posted on this years ago - had to do some metal cutting to get it undone....very messy.....
Thanks. We tried that. I had seen the thread of a few years ago and was hoping there was more recent and encouraging information. Looks like this could get expensive.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
Is there any resistance when you pull the cable handle? If there is and you can see the area of the mechanism when you remove the bottom splash shields, you might try spraying a lot of penetrating fluid through the straw on the can up in the vicinity of both sides of the mechanism pocket. You'll have a big mess of drippy fluid and have to clean the a/c condenser, radiator and whatever else gets covered. .02c for a try

Having looked at mine it looks like time to make sure some spray lithium grease is applied.........the parts/springs are getting a little rusty.

·
Registered
6,812 Posts
I'd also verify under the dash that pulling on the lever really pulls on the release wire too? If something was not right there that could be the problem?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No resistance at all. Either the cable broke or came unpinned. I'll try the spray, though, before I have to get destructive and cut the center plate open. Saw a thread on that procedure. My engine room is pretty clean, but it only takes a grain of sand in some cases, I guess. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,812 Posts
That tt.net posting about making a latch release tool looked interesting? Maybe worth trying first?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts