ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. I'm thinking of putting a new radio in my wife's ZX and she wants to retain the remote functions that are on the steering wheel. Is this doable?? Are there aftermarket stereos with the remote functions?

Thanks, and sorry if this is a stupid question on a tech board, lol.

Randy

·
Registered
657 Posts
there was a guy on here a couple weeks ago asking the same thing...... im pretty sure everyone came to the conclusion that it couldnt be done. you can do a search though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, following some threads in the search, and then doing some time on their web site, it looks like Crutchfield has some wiring harnesses that include the wheel remote IF you buy the right radio (remote capability built in).

I'm adding this back in so any future search of this thread gets the Crutchfield lead. Actual search result on Crutchfield is:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ykRQF5...p=/S-ykRQF5RRWpl/index.html?&id=0&vehicleid=0

·
Registered
3 Posts
There was an item on ebay I think made by PAC that would link any aftermarket radio to the steering wheel controls via IRF signals. It looked like you would put a led transmitter in front of your new radio and wire it to the steering wheel controls. You would then program it using your new radios remote control. Tried to find it but it's late and the auction must have ended.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
For my '88 I wanted to maintain that factory look of the Z31 stereo but still wanted a better sound and CD player. The solution was to install a CD changer to the bottom of the storage bin door/cover. It is the type that plays through an unused radio station.

I find that the factory stereo has decent power for what it is and unless your wife likes to rattle her windows out, this may be a solution. The biggest holdup with the stock Z31 system is not the radio/tape unit but rather the factory speakers.

Literally, they blow. Once I replaced mine with some Pioneers, the diff was night and day. Now, if I can figure out a slick way to run my iPod into the mix...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, Zoobee, my situation exactly. This all started with a buzz in the right rear speaker (an eBay pair of Pioneers and Alpines on the way), then it seemed like a shame not to try and get CD/MP3 capability for when the speakers get here.

When you say "storage bin door/cover", are you refering to the bin behind the driver's seat in the back??

FYI, the Crutchfield lead is not going well. I put in all the car info and they return a hundred receivers that "fit my car". If I pursue any one of them, it all of a sudden changes to "does not fit". I back browser to the listing page and all of a sudden, none of them "fit". I'll call them on Monday, but that tells me the "controls on the steering wheel" doesn't kick into their search until you're ready to buy.

Thanks also to vtai150. I will do some searching for the remote "patch".

Troppo

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Yes, the typcial Z storage bins right behind the seats (coupe). If I can recall, I used carriage type bolts underneath the carpet, through the fibre board with the threads facing down into the bin cavity. The brackets/changer mounts to these. The player is suspended from the lid itself, since it is the only flat area in this storage compartment. I didn't want to do any bracket fabrication.

I still have some storage capacity there as the player lifts up with the lid. In ten years this arrangement hasn't caused any problems with skips or damage to the player.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Z31 owners: Check your tool kit and spare tire wells for rust.....

Post Edited (May 22, 5:03pm)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.