ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im trying to get the driver side cv shaft out of my 88 300zx non turbo. First i unbolted the 6 nuts and seperated it from the wheel but i cant get it to drop down all the way. It hits the shock mount . I tried popping it out of the rear end and dropping it that way but it didnt work. Any ideas on what im doing wrong. Thanks.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Before you get beat over the head by someone on here. Do yourself a favor and invest $20 in a shop manual. Believe me it'll pay for itself. You need to take the bolts out of the shock mount and swing it out of the way. You may have to unclip the brake line and tie or cable it up. Then you can get the axle shaft out. They don't have a snap ring like some fwd cars so you shouldn't have to pry on them. Be careful when you put the new ones in. There's a left and right axle and they don't interchange. While you're at it replace the seals in the differential.

Post Edited (Sep 19, 5:49pm)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks I thought i might have to drop the shock mount but my chiltons didnt say. My real problem is the cv-shaft is vibrating where it pops in the diff. and making a grinding sound. Do you think the diff is trashed or is it something i could replace? Thanks again.

·
Registered
548 Posts
The differentials in these cars are pretty sturdy. I'd pray it was the cv joint. You could check the grease in the diff for foreign material. Also take a look at the rear brakes and rotors. I just replaced the axles on my 84 but the sound I heard was a clicking/ticking at low speed. I could feel a slight catching when I backed up slowly while turning. But no grinding.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well i just bought the car a couple weeks ago and i thought it was the rear brakes making the noise so i replaced the rotors and pads. I jacked up the rear end and had both tires off the ground and started the car and put it in drive. I could see the driver side cv shaft shaking around where it pops in the diff.

·
Registered
793 Posts
See if this site helps you at all www.carfiche.com get your manuel there FSM.. look into the tripod shaft I think that might be a problem sounds like you might need to replace the part that hooks into the rear diff

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im really starting to hate this car. I removed the front bolt on the shock mount and the e-brake cable mount and swung the bracket down. The cv-shaft dosent hit it anymore but it STILL wont come out. It wont bend down far enough to get it out of there. I have a chiltons, Haynes and alldata program for this particular car and none of them help. Sure wish i was working on a older z right now.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I don't know how you have it jacked up. I jacked the car up and put it on jack stands. Then used the jack to raise and lower the hub. Try lowering or raising the diff or wheel hub. Believe me, it comes out this way. The older Z's may have been easier to get the half-shaft out, but then you had to pound the u-joint out.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks man i got it out the way you said it was just alot harder than i thought it would be. The cv shaft looks good so im guessing the rear end needs replaced.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Ouch! Sorry to hear that. Wouldn't hurt to drain the grease and check it. I remember seeing a posting here not too long ago about lubricants and additives. It might be worth a try draining and refilling.
Check out the post from Az_ZBum from today. It has specs on the differentials and which are which. Just in case you want to move up.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I pulled the passenger side cv shaft out today and the metal lip that goes into the diff looks different on the original cv-shaft vs the New one. I also drained the oil in it and there is a very small amount of metal shavings on the magnet. Im thinking the new cv-shaft might not be sitting in the diff right and causing it to wobble. Im going to get a used cv-shaft and see if that works.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So do you think the previous owner could have put a turbo model cv-shaft on it and would that cause the wobbling?Thanks

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well i guess thats not it. The (new) driver side cv shaft is flat where it pops in the diff and the original shaft has a 1/4 inch lip on it.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I'm not picturing your description of the end of the axle shaft. Sorry I didn't get back to you last night. Did you conquer it?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had to order a new halfshaft because the junkyard wanted $100 for a used one! Im going to try that tomorrow and see if that fixes it. Ill let you know what i figure out. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
548 Posts
You'd think this would be easy. Take one out, put one back. ($100) for a used one is off the wall. Rebuilt are $75-$80 plus a core deposit.
Let me know how it turns out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.