ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. I just recently got a 300zx 2+2 AT for my wife to replace a trashy '79 280 2+2 AT. The car is deffinately an improvement is all areas but one. Going up a long grade the car lacks the power of the old 280. Any suggestions on what I can do about it, or is this normal?

FYI, yes I know I've added 1000+ pounds and not that much more HP, and if that's the simple answer, so be it (her choice, not mine). I just want to know if what we got is normal.

Thanks

·
Registered
430 Posts
Probably has the locking clutch in 3rd-4th.... and so acts like a manual trans at highways speeds...where the older car allowed the engine to rev higher due to the slipping torque converter?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Tell her to take it out of overdrive (at shifter) when going up a steep hill.
When you get time, check your vacuum lines carefully for leaks, and a tuneup? Get a Haynes Manual too, you'll need it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. Haynes manual just arrived. Electrical tune up just done for CA smog, but I haven't looked at the vac, etc. Will do.

As far as taking it out of OD at 70 MPH, it didn't like that much, although I didn't leave it off long enough to see what the rpm's were. I'll try that too.

But bottom line is that you're telling me it should do better. That's what I needed.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
The Z31 dosnt way 1000+ lbs. Your car prolly weighs about 3400, the 280ZX probably weighed about 2800. They should be about the same as far as power and speed go. Make sure you replace the wires with the plugs, and most people like using NGKs in these cars.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.