ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During an Oil filter change the "service Person " broke the sensor off at the block. They have to fix it but how?

I would like to know how it mounts, screw in or what? It looks like the wire end was a clean white disk about the size of a 50 cent piece with a small gasket. The block end feels equally smooth with no visibal threads or way to remove the device.

Anyone know the answer? By the way it happened yesterday and they have not found the replacement part yet. Patinetly waiting - almost! Thanks, Bobber

·
Registered
2,227 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stu,
Thanks for the information. The mechanic assigned to the repair says it is a "switch" ? It looks like a rubber boot on the assembly you refered me to but it must be all plastic rather than metal as it broke off at the engine block. I am now more confused than ever. The mechanic says the part will be in by Wednesday next week. Guess I'll find out then.
Thank yo for answering and I have bookmarked the page in case I need it.
Best regards, Bob

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Broke it off the block? It is not a particularly strong component but it would still take some force. Sounds like something slipped while trying to loosen the oil filter.
If the sender broke off cleanly at the block then it may well be tricky to take out the remaining threaded portion, there is not a lot of room to work with. That is their problem.
I don't see how it is hard to find a replacement unless they are looking for a used part. The standard Z31 oil sender has both a switch for the warning light and a variable resistor for the pressure gauge.
When it is fixed and you pick up the car, make sure that both the warning light and gauge work correctly (assuming they did to begin with).

Aftermarket parts catalogues can be somewhat inaccurate, so I wouldn't be surprised if your service guys end up trying to make an incorrect part work. Ask if the new part is a genuine Nissan part.
Just recently I was at a general auto parts shop and had a look at the VDO brand parts catalogue for an oil pressure sender. VDO does a lot of switches/senders and are generally good quality. The catalogue described a "switch" for my "300Z", quite cheap too, so the warning bells rang. The size of the sender gives you some idea of the compelxity inside. No simple pressure switch needs to be that big.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mister_T,
I think yo are right. I called the mechanic back and he says the nissan parts guy called it a switch. The cable end that was sheard off has a wire bundle into a rubber boot that is about the size of a silver dollar at the engine block end. It was white plastic with two tiny brass pins that passed through the plastic into the block portion. Of course they wree broken as well. The sheared off part had a very narrow yet large diameter black rubber gasket that fell off during inspection of the ruber grommet.

I have been looking for a picture of the device and my Glymers manual doesen't even refer to it much less picture it or describe it's replacement.

I am not very confident that the Oil Change mechanic has the skills to replace it but guess I don't have any other option at this time. It is one tight space and I can't imagine how to remove the block piece?

Thanks, Bob

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Nissan call that part a "SWITCH ASSY- OIL PRESSURE" in their parts microfiche.
Stu85na posted a link to a good picture of the pressure sender.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.