ZCar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
Since I've gotten my car running, I've had a problem with the idle. After starting the car, id have to be constantly giving the car at least a bit of gas or it would stall out. I posted my problem elsewhere and was told that it could be a vacuum leak. So, I ordered new hoses and got 3mm and 4mm in the mail today.

I got around to replacing a good chunk of 4mm lines, but I didn't have hose to replace the 6mm section going to the manifold (#3 in this diagram).

I started the car up after the new hoses were in, but it still wouldn't idle. I'm thinking it might be something to do with the throttle body... No clue. My main throttle cable had a bit of slack which me and my friend tried tightening a bit- not enough to lift the barrel, but still tightened enough to negate a good bit of slack. Didn't get the opportunity to try and start it afterwards as the battery had died.
Should I get a new throttle body? Also, the plug connecting to the TPS is looking pretty green.
Any advice??
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hello all,
Since I've gotten my car running, I've had a problem with the idle. After starting the car, id have to be constantly giving the car at least a bit of gas or it would stall out. I posted my problem elsewhere and was told that it could be a vacuum leak. So, I ordered new hoses and got 3mm and 4mm in the mail today. View attachment 106706
I got around to replacing a good chunk of 4mm lines, but I didn't have hose to replace the 6mm section going to the manifold (#3 in this diagram). View attachment 106707
I started the car up after the new hoses were in, but it still wouldn't idle. I'm thinking it might be something to do with the throttle body... No clue. My main throttle cable had a bit of slack which me and my friend tried tightening a bit- not enough to lift the barrel, but still tightened enough to negate a good bit of slack. Didn't get the opportunity to try and start it afterwards as the battery had died.
Should I get a new throttle body? Also, the plug connecting to the TPS is looking pretty green.
Any advice??
Thanks in advance
This is a shot in the dark here, but something that has kept my 87’ Z from idling in the past, was the hose coming from the cruise control actuator, that goes into the little plastic T split which is located right next to the upper left corner of the 3000 v6 Nissan cover plate. I’ve found those hoses to become completely unreliable with age, and if they become cracked, broken, or so loose that they don’t seal and just fall off, it will allow too much air to mix with the fuel, killing the engine. I had trouble with my idle for a while, and I replaced that hose with a good thick silicone one, and I’ve had no problems since then at all! Don’t know if this is remotely what could be wrong with yours, but I figured it was worth a shot! -Retro

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Replaced the hoses you said plus a few more...

Still no dice. I got a video of it trying to start.
During the second attempt, I gave it gas for like a second and then let off completely.
The throttle cable tightener is completely stripped out so it's impossible to tighten anymore. Tried adding washers to the bit attached to the gas pedal to tighten it a bit more, but it's not enough to move the throttle barrel.

·
Registered
45 Posts
View attachment 106708
During the second attempt, I gave it gas for like a second and then let off completely.
The throttle cable tightener is completely stripped out so it's impossible to tighten anymore. Tried adding washers to the bit attached to the gas pedal to tighten it a bit more, but it's not enough to move the throttle barrel.
Man,
View attachment 106708
Dang, sorry to hear that hose didn’t fix it. It sounds like it could definitely be the issue with that throttle cable, I’ve never encountered a totally stripped tightened like that, but that sounds like it could for sure be the issue. Unfortunately though, due to me having no knowledge on such as issue, I don’t know how to repair it or how easy it would be, maybe some z31 wizard on the site like bonfire79 will drop by this thread and spread his wisdom. I’ll do some research though on that tightener and see what can be done. Best of luck to you man. -Retro

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got an answer from two people on my Instagram car progress page to clean out the idle air control valve. Apparently it's notorious for becoming clogged over time. I'll try that tomorrow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts