ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a new to me 87 nissan 300z.. IT will not start the guy i got it from said it was runnig started chugging and then quit runnig....any suggestions..I checked the fuel pump.and you can hear it and i pulled the hoses off the fuel filter and tried to start it and it pumped feul out.....help please...

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just had an alternator problem with my 87 which resulted in it dying and not starting after that. If you haven't done it already, just try a simple jump-start before spending some serious money or digging through your engine for problems. Maybe you'll be lucky and all you'll need is a new battery.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Most likely things to try before you start spending serious $:

1. Try a jump-start from a friend's car. If it tries to start but won't stay running, Get some help with a tune up of only the distributor (clean the six tips inside the distributor and lightly sandpaper the rotor tip.)

2. If you can get the car to a AutoZone or similar store, ask them to do an alternator check for you. When the alternator goes, the whole car goes.
Get the AutoZone guys to check your battery as well.

3. If still no luck, ask someone to check your ECU (Engine Control unit) behind passengers kick board just ahead of pass door. You'll need help from a Haynes Manual to "read your codes".Your ZX has a computer that diagnoses its own failures by giving you fault codes.

4. If the battery and alternator are ok, then there may be spark issues. First place to look at is the power transistor down on the drivers side fender near the coil. The transistor is relatively low dollars from Nissan and you'll get no spark across the coil if its bad. They're known to go out and cause this kind of problem.

Good luck, eml me if you need more help.

Pet Jag

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.