ZCar Forum banner

61 - 62 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, all!

Just joined to try to help out the boy on his Z and to post some thoughts...

You all have been very helpful and presented excellent ideas. I really wish I had more auto tranny experience as I feel this is the core of the problem.

If the fins of the torque converter were damaged or sheared off, would it lock up after a certain load?

JC > I think we pulled the stick and no burnt smell but I think I would of noticed metal shavings but I can't remember specifically looking for it so maybe take a look when you get a chance.

The swap is a matter of $, but more so finding the donor...so...for now...
Let's get a new torque converter a try that.

Process of elimination works great with a blank check, not so good with a blank stare...

We'd only be out, what, $150 or so, I don't know how available the 4n71b is, family year, will the non-turbo tranny work with your turbo?

Do some homework on that, I'll be in town tomorrow for a chat. Maybe we can do some picking.

Thanks all for the help, I know this thread is going off on a few tangents, but I think the focus is now the tranny.

The engine revs like the Nagasaki Whiny Boi that it is, sounds really good (In Park, not moving). it has some vac leaks, but does not stumble out on revving.
It does not stumble out or sound like it is missing when it dies out, it just revs down to a stall. The noisy part is what leads me to think it is trans related.

I'll take Torque Converters for $150, Alex....

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
I took it into my sister husband's dads place, and he ran a vaccumm test on it which was jumpy (which it still misses, so that I figured) but hes saying that it's possible I got bad or cracked valve seals, so that could be an issue. I'm not sure how viable it is considering the visual condition of the valves, but I am at limited expiereanced. Going to be doing a compression test tomorrow, I'll go to the fsm and look up the numbers I should get

61 - 62 of 62 Posts