ZCar Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick recap of what's happened with this 87 na 300zx. This vehicle is currently at my shop since the radiator developed a hole which in turn caused engine to overheat and damaged the block. Acquired a block out of an 84 and was installed in this 87 with new gaskets, seals and timing components. Went ahead and blocked off the EGR, IAC and AAR for the cleaner look. Engine turns over and only runs with the accelerator pedal held to about 2k RPM and sounds okish. Only vacuum ports used are the one that feeds the tranny, the fuel regulator and the booster. Everything else is blocked for now. Car ran fine with the old engine till it overheated so don't understand what's going on. Reused dizzy and MAF. My understanding also is that the injector plugs don't have any correct orientation since it's batched fired. Unplugged MAF has no effect. Unplugged head temp sensor has no effect, runs like crap still when warm. Doesn't retrieve any codes since I'm assuming it doesn't run long enough. Coolant temp on cluster stays in the middle but my understanding that's not used for engine control. Don't know much about these cars so feel to school me on it. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Put the idle control valve back on there.... (IAC) it will run like crap without this. is your 87 na or turbo? is the 84 engine na or turbo?
which ECU are you using? are you pairing the correct O2 sensor? if your car is an non-turbo 87 (NA) and the 84 engine is NA or turbo, then you should have the correct sensor. Both years used the bigger zericonia type and both work with the ECU from both cars. However, 86-89 turbo used the smaller titania type. it is important to make sure these are matched correctly.

www.xenonzcar.com is your friend. refer to the Z31 section for all you need to know on your 300zx.

Bon

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey there, didn't expect a quick response. So, using the 87 pcm. Using the o2 sensor that is original to the car. The only thing different in this vehicle is the engine itself. The 84 was na also, unknown mileage and condition. Will install the IAC and see what's up. Thanks for the link.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts