ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 86T has been garaged for 3 months already. Prior to that it was not idling or if did idle will idle at 600 then 500 then 300 then Die. Been just taking my time to figure out and replace or tighten things that have made it much bettter then the serious flu it just had. I discovered the plastic tube that goes from AFM to Turbo inlet was loose. Ok so after tighting that to tight that the rusted stock bolt broke off,I had to take the whole plastic elbow off and put in another bolt after took old one out. No problem, just a little annoying getting it back on. Oh also cleaned the plastic tube inside with carb cleaner and water before putting it back. Then I found the annoying Vac leak I had for sometime, but ignored it cause did not know until now it was from a tube under the TB I never saw. Saw I put tube back on. Vac leak is no more music in my ears. Then I replaced the fuel filter, When I took old one out,I try blowing air into it with my mouth, and was able to do so,but not with ease. The new filter with no gas inside was easy to blow air into. Then again I do not want to take it off to find out if it still lets air in as easy. But Im sure it was clogged. Now the car idles for sometime, about 3 min or so at around 400 rpm then dies. So All I have to do is up the idle. I tried turning the screw but it will not move. Pain in the ass? I know I moved it before. So maybe I will buy a new Idle control valve from nissan and well then everything should be ok, once i get that idle up a bit.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Have you done the basic stuff such as running the ECU codes to see what flags that it is throwing? It may identify items such as the AFM that could be causing the problem that you are suffering. I don't know many that have had to adjust the idle greatly to solve a problem, usually the problem is something else.

Anyway - glad to hear that she is getting better! It just takes time and patience!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I already replaced AFM with another from 86NA I had. It was used, but it worked. Maybe I should get a new one?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh let me correct what I said. The Car now idles at 400 rpm before it dies, but when I turn motor on at first it will idle at 900 then 700 then 600 and slowly creep down to 400 for a while then dies.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Hmmm.....on the AFM your best route would probably be to 1st run your ECU codes and regardless of whether or not you get the AFM flag I'd field-test it using AZ_ZBUM's field testing instructions (I believe it is posted on z31.com's FAQ section and perhaps his website). That should give you some sort of indication.

Others here may have more detailed testing information and advice on what else you can do to test the AFM. I would definitely look into it as a possbile cause if you are using another used part. The AFM is one of those parts...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.