ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few days ago my 86zx NA started turning off (seemingly random) while I was driving and has continued to do so. I was turning a corner the other day and the car jolted for a split second like it was going to stall out and about five minutes later it died. It started right up, but died again later on down the street and took a while before it would start up again.

I did a tune up yesterday (replaced fuel filter, plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor, oil and filter)

It died again on a test drive and took ten minutes to restart.

I had the injector recall done 2 weeks ago (plus new fuel rails, FPR, idle air control valve)

The problem is sporadic, but I can't drive the car for more than fifteen minutes or so without it dying. Today it died and started right up again.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Check battery cables, coil, and power transistor. if the battery cables are corroded inside, it will cause those problems. See, that bad connection conduct electricity better when cold, as the car warms up, continuity is lost, and therefore you lose power. you usually have to cut some of the insulation off to be able to tell, but i would recomend replace the POS cable just because its a 20 year old car.

·
Registered
163 Posts
i had a car do this to me and i couldnt figure out what it was on my own...so i took it to a shop and they said it was the main relay...i dont remember what it cost me to fix but i know it was less than a hundred bux
_James_

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
you need to find out whats shutting down, is it spark or fuel, next time it happens pull the coil wire and check for spark. run the ecm codes.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's the funny thing, it'll start up and run fine, then just shut down after a while, at any RPM, accelerating or at idle. I'm looking at the ignition module (I think it's called a power transistor on the 300zx, I'm used to first gen) as a possible culprit

·
Registered
26 Posts
Did you turn the computer around and look at the codes yet? Takes a few minutes, but worth the trip.

If you need help on codes ask someone with a FSM. I have one as well as many others here.

Heck, RedOctober sleeps with his.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update for the archives:

The power transistor (I think that's the equivelant of what was called an ignition module on the older models) was going bad, and stopped working after it heated up.

A trip to Autozone and 89$ later it was fixed (they did have to order it though, and it's 105$ from Nissan)

Power transitor is located next to the coil, and is wired to the coil.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.