ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yeah i got a 86 300Z and its nonturbo i need to get it fast with doin little things what can i do!?

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
non-turbo Z's are not made for speed. They are made for quickness. With the right suspension modifications you will have a very fun car, but it will only be quick not fast.

Turbo conversions are possible. Go buy a cheap turbo parts car and use all the turbo parts to make your non-turbo (na) Z a Turbo Z. Then sell the extra parts you don't use on E-bay or to people on these sites.

cams, nitrous, and a pathfinder intake are your best bet for speed on an NA engine.

Here is a picture of a built non-turbo Z engine.

Here is a picture of a built Turbo Z engine.

I think you get the picture... a lot more can be done for speed with a turbo charged engine.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
holy crap thats nice but what kind of intake is that one the first pic and what stuff will i need

·
Registered
255 Posts
Yeh, it takes more then little things to make a N/A car fast/quick and it takes money. If you don't want to do the turbo conversion. Here is a list that you can do.

-2.5 inch exhaust
-Headers
-intake
-port and polish
-pathfinder intake manifold
-camshafts

There is probably more that you can do. I think modifying an N/A is alot harder then modifying a turbo Z. You have more options if you have a turbo Z.

That first pic has the pathfinder intake

http://z31.com/pathy.shtml

Post Edited (Apr 7, 3:48pm)

·
Registered
632 Posts
there is no real point in modding a n/a car unless you just want to. a modded n/a without nitrous with probably put bout 170 at the wheels, which is what it did stock at the flywheel. im no pro at these things but thats just my .02 cents

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Don't bother if you are truely looking for power. Even with all the mods that these guys have told you to do you still are only looking at 180-190hp at the rear wheels. Thats only slightly better than what a stock 300zx turbo does. The problem with the non-turbo Z is that the engine doesn't yeild much gain in hp from mods becuase Nissan already did a good job from the factory. Also the amount of money you will spend on some of these mods is worth more than the whole car. An example would be that patherfinder intake manifold that was mentioned. Sure it looks good and is said to flow better but it takes a lot of fabing to make it work. First off it won't work with the stock hood so you will either need to make a hood scope to allow for clearence or cut the hood and have the manifold sticking out. Then you have to worry about rerouting all the coolant lines and such. Then there is an issue with the throttle body placement. Lastly you have to custom make a lower intake manifold to mate with the patherfinder one as the stock lower one won't bolt up. Basicly by the time you are done it would have been easier and cheaper to buy a whole other 300zx turbo car. The same goes for cams. A good came kit will cost about 400+ dollars plus another 600+ to have them intalled. For that amount of money you could almost buy another car. Here is a break down

Intake-50 bucks to make- about 3hp
exhuast-200-250 from local muffler shop-5hp
headers-350 plus another 300 for install-5hp
JWT ECU-600-5-7hp

Those are just the basic mods that don't require much work or hassle. Thats about 1500 bucks for about 20hp gain. Not that bad but for 1500 bucks you could have a turbo 300zx that would be faster and have more potential. Not trying to rain you your parade but just really decide if spending all that money is worth it for you to have a car that by todays standards is slow. Chances are you'll find equally modded civics and such are just as fast.

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
thats so funny!!!! anytime now someone asks for HP improvment people post the pathy intake picture!! hahaha and most of the guys that post that picture never done the swap and have no idea how it's done!!! so sad!!!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Havn't you guys learned anything from the honda crowd??? The secret to making N/A cars go fast is a Chrome muffler, a bunch of stickers, and really BIG wing on the back. Get all that for your car, and my turbo Z will be paying homage to you in no time.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
what strut bar is that?

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Yeah on an NA I might do intake/headers/2.25 piping(2.5 is too big for NA),muffler,JWT ECU or ASH ECU(When its done) and that would put you at about 185 crank hp. Then redo the suspension with new springs/struts/shocks/poly urethane bushings/strut and sway bar/good tires. With these mods youd have yourself a nice autocross car, but would only be about the speeds of a stock turbo Z31.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well i do thank yall for the help but i think i will just buy a junk 86 turbo car and rip the engine out and put the turbo and stuff like that on im all ready a mechanic so i CAN do it so this will be a good project for me

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
SportdriverGT: That strut bar is the Greddy/Trust bar. You can buy them on ebay for pretty cheap but there is a reason for that; they suck. No offense to anyone that has one but they aren't very strong and from what I've heard can be bent pretty easily using your arms. The best strut bar for the 300zx that is out there right now is the Cusco. It's a little more money but looks great and actually works.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
yeah Im gonna get the cusco. I just was wondering.

·
Registered
657 Posts
i think it kind funny that nobody EVER says anything about this little force that gets you moving......called TORQUE!!!! on an NA motor this is the thing you want to focus on.......... if you had 1million hp and no torque you wouldnt even move. althought im pretty sure its impossible to have that much HP and no torque.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Thats true. The 300zx does have good torque and when modded the torque tends to get better results than the hp. Still even when moddified the non turbo just isn't fast. The fact is that both hp and torque isn't increased enough for the amount of mods and money spent. A stock turbo would still be faster than a basic bolt on non turbo 300zx. **** even a equally modded 70-83 Z would still be faster for two reasons. First the L28 makes much better yeilds in hp and torque per mod. Second weight. The 300zx is a great car and was pretty fast in it's day but more torque or not it still won't be that fast unless you add NOS. The 300zx makes for a nice cruising car but if you want power get a second car.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.