ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I purchased a 1986 300ZX turbo car. I have an electrical problem that is puzzling me. When I bought the car, my guages wouldn't work, my A/C wouldn't work, my radio wouldn't work, nor most anything controlled anywhere on the dash or steering wheel. My headlights would come on, but not come up. After driving the car for about 5 minutes, and messing with some kind of mystery 3 position switch mounted underneath the dash, everything all of a sudden came on and begin working properly. I have no idea what the little switch is underneath the dash. Has anyone heard of anything like this. The next time I started the car, I moved the switch again, and nothing will work this time. It may have just been coincidence that everything came on while messing with the mystery switch. I plan on digging into the problem tomorrow, but I would just like a little insight if anyone has any.
thanks,
Donnie

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Sounds like your previous owner did a little bootleg wiring. Maybe he wanted to have a stealth setting for his Z?

·
Registered
353 Posts
yup it sounds like somebody may have ghetto rigged it , look into it and if you dont know much about electrical wring look into getting some help of some sort , good luck with that puzzle. and buy a voltmeter if you dont already have one , it tell you what wires have constant 12 volt from the batt runnin into it and you can also use it to see if there is any constant connection between two wires , very helpful , and easier than checking for electricity by touching the wire with your tongue( it will sting you a little bit if does). good luck

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
I know a guy that rigged a kill switch for his brake light so he could turn it off at will when speeding during the night; if the police spot him or he's about to burn past a roadside cop stop he'd flick the switch and pump the brakes then cruise past at a nice 30mph from 90mph+ unnoticed lol

·
Registered
131 Posts
definately some jury rigging going on, might have had a security system in of his own design...its not standard issue as far as i know

·
Registered
68 Posts
I had the same problem when I got this car. It was the fusible link closest to the front of the car. It is inside the plastic fuse panel right beside the battery.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.