ZCar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased an 86 Turbo. I find that when I shift from 1st-2nd and 2nd-3rd, there is a "grinding". I have gone through the records that came with it and there was a new dealer installed clutch installed when the car had about 60,000 miles on it, and it is currently around 75,000. Any thoughts and solutions would be greatly appreciated....Thanks

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
pretty common for an abused z31 tranny. To help, put in REdline MTF or the equivalent Royal Purple product. Not a miracle cure but will smooth things out. Pause between shifts. trying to make the 1/4 mile at every stoplight doesn't work well. Rebuild the tranny and get new synchros in there. probably nothing to do with the new clutch.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
pretty common for an abused z31 tranny. To help, put in REdline MTF or the equivalent Royal Purple product. Not a miracle cure but will smooth things out. Pause between shifts. trying to make the 1/4 mile at every stoplight doesn't work well. Rebuild the tranny and get new synchros in there. probably nothing to do with the new clutch.
I finally got around to changing the transmission fluid with Redline MT-90 a few weeks ago while the car was put away for the winter. I took it out for a quick spin yesterday, and with the new fluid it shifted perfectly, no grinding at all!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts