ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well... i made sure the engine timing was good and reinstalled the timing belt and tensioner...tried to turn her over but no go. can the engine run without its alt?...cause ive seen guys change their timing belt on their website and turn their engine over to see if she will indeed start. is there a possibility i couldve timed the engine with the no. 1 piston on its non compression stroke? i did all i could yesterday...shes gettin fuel and spark...i did get one backfire sound when i attempted to turn her over for the first time....and yes i did turn the engine by hand to ensure no resistance as far as the valves and pistons hittin each other...but it was almost like it was too easy ya know? it still seems as if the engine has no compression....i guess i should jus rebuild the engine (187,000 miles)

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
when you put your #1 cylinder on tdc did you use a compression tester or haver someone stick their finger in the spark plug hole to see if its on the compression stroke. If you didn't and you got it out of time 180 degrees then it will backfire and not even feel like it is even trying to start. recheck that your on the compression stroke and not on the exhaust.

·
Registered
162 Posts
The last timing belt I did on a newly purchased car, the guy who did the job just before selling it to me had the cam and belt marks lined up okay, but had turned the key to the notch on the crank sprocket instead of using the dimple on the face of the sprocket. Ran great soon as I took the belt off and turned the crank to the proper position. Easy mistake to make.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
notdeadyet,
when he installed that belt with the crankshaft in the wrong position and he started the engine...did it not bend any valves?

Post Edited (Jun 22, 6:54pm)

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
82-280zx-turbo,
thanks...i had a feeling deep down maybe that was the case could be the case.... but i wasnt sure...i gonna have to double check that

Post Edited (Jun 22, 7:55pm)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.