ZCar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, have had car parked for years. Trying to get road ready again. My issue, among many is that my brakes are losing fluid, yet no puddles on floor. I filled the reservoir and left for a few weeks. Came back and reservoir down to1/4. Suggestions? I can’t see any signs of fresh fluids around callipers and stuff. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The shot answer is no. I bled all brakes except the RR. The bleeder was seized. I’m going to order some new screws and give it another goHopefully that’s it, or it may be the mc next.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Spray that bleeder valve with actual penetrating oil (NOT WD-40!!) and let it sit for at least a couple of days before attempting to loosen it. Re-spray at least once a day.

DO NOT use an open end wrench to loosen it. Breaking off that bleeder means a caliper replacement, or removal and machine work.

·
Registered
583 Posts
The same thing happened to my 85 Z31T a few years ago. I was driving the car normally and put it away for the winter. In the spring, the reservoir was empty, with no puddle or spots anywhere. I refilled it, bled the brakes, and the same thing happened the next winter. I did not drive the Z after that as life got in the way where I had to get my right knee reconstructed after 3 of my 4 quadricep tendons tore off the kneecap. That was 3 years ago. So as of today, I still have that issue. I am now actively getting both the 85T and 93Z back on the road. Since then, my calipers have seized and I am replacing all of them as well as all the brake lines.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The same thing happened to my 85 Z31T a few years ago. I was driving the car normally and put it away for the winter. In the spring, the reservoir was empty, with no puddle or spots anywhere. I refilled it, bled the brakes, and the same thing happened the next winter. I did not drive the Z after that as life got in the way where I had to get my right knee reconstructed after 3 of my 4 quadricep tendons tore off the kneecap. That was 3 years ago. So as of today, I still have that issue. I am now actively getting both the 85T and 93Z back on the road. Since then, my calipers have seized and I am replacing all of them as well as all the brake lines.
I had the same issue on my 77 280z. Kept adding fluid every Spring for several years. Never a drip on the floor anywhere. Turns out that the master cylinder piston cup seals were going bad and the fluid was passing around the piston and into the Master vac reservoir. When the vacuum reservoir finally started leaking, I found my fluid. Replaced the Mastervac and master cylinder using rebuilt OEM Tokico parts from Cardone. Problem solved. Even though the brakes worked, the fluid was slowly bypassing the master cylinder and backing into the brake booster. I didn't need to replace the Master vac (very expensive) but found a good rebuild cheap at the time. Rebuilding or replacing the master cylinder had to be done. Both Tokico and Nabco units are available as rebuilds. Hope this is helpful.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts