ZCar Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
So I recently purchased a Z31 that has become my project car. I'm kind of looking for advice here and to see what resources people have used. We changed the oil in it and found metal shavings inside the oil pan. Now we made a huge mistake and used a dirty container while changing the oil (won't be doing that ever again...) so we plan to drop the oil pan and check inside there to see exactly if we have metal shavings or not. If we do, the plan is to do a rebuild of the stock engine. I did find a manual for the VG30E engine and I plan to follow that, but before I take any actions does anyone have advice or resources they think I should check out? The metal shavings we thought we found were small to medium sizes, if that matters.

As for the car this has been my dream car and I want to restore it back to a condition where it can be my daily driver for the future. I plan to learn the inside and out of this vehicle so I can take good care of it for the rest of my life. I'm not looking for a race car or something of that nature, just a normal daily driver.

·
Registered
197 Posts
The Factory Service Manual (FSM) may be down loaded from XenonZcar.com.
  • In the LC section of the FSM you can find the procedure for a Oil Pressure Check.
  • In the EM section of the FSM you can find the Engine Compression Check procedure.
If both of these checks are good, your engine is probably ok. I am not saying you shouldn't be worried about metal in the oil, but you don't know if the metal came from your engine. If the metal has been circulating in your engine it has probably damaged clearances in the oil system and will effect your oil pressure. Same idea for the compression check.

The VG is a well built an engine and can last a long time, but we are talking about a 35 year old engine. Has it every been run while low on oil? Has it every been overheated? The above test will detect most problem, but an engine rebuild is a reasonable thought.

The EM section of the FSM covers the details needed for an engine rebuild, but it does not cover general rebuild practices. For that, read some on general engine rebuild practices. Have a shop check your bores and crank journals. Don't be afraid to have a shop do some work. You are going to put a lot of time into this.

Be aware of the different VG30 blocks. The VG30 changed from an A/B versin to a W version during 1987 if I remember correctly. Know the difference between a turbo and NA engine. Know what you have; get the right parts.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts