ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am lookikng to get back in the Z car scene and am looking at a 85 turbo with a 87 turbo engine. The car runs great, the 5 speed shifts great, everything works on the car including the talking computer. It has a great straight body with decent paint and super nice interior, Odometer shows nearly 80K and while I think it is 180K the car certainly could pass for 80K based upon the condition. The asking price is $2500 which I think is fairly reasonable.

Anyway, here are hte two issues I need to find out about before I pluck down any cash.

1) The car will not idle down below about 1400 RPM. IT acts like the choke is stuck but..............

2) The speedometer does not work properly - it will in fact go all the away around past the 145 back to the zero and move sporadically while dirivng. It does return to zero when stopped.

I am thinking the speed sensor is bad or ????? Any ideas will be appreaciaed. If it is the speed sensor, how difficult is it to replace and how expensive?

Thanks

Bob

·
Registered
782 Posts
Far as the idle it probably has a bunch of vaccum leaks.. and the speedo problem im sure could be easily fixed probably just the speedo cable or something?

·
Registered
281 Posts
The Speedometer problem is a common one for the early 300's. Mine pegs all the way around before i get into 2nd gear. It's supposedly not too difficult for a local shop to fix. They have to remove the dash (apparently not as difficult as it looks). Then remove the speeds and clean the oil and gunk. Flush out the speedo cable and clean it well. I'm sure there are other steps to this, but that's all i remember hearing from the mechanic that was going to fix it for me. Good luck, and if you can get that idle thing under control, i'd say GET IT! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.