ZCar Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My nissan 300z won't crank over when I turn the key it dies immediately. It has a full charge on the battery and everything what could be causing this problem?

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
more info needed.
your car either cranks or it doesn't. if it is turning over (cranks) and not starting up, you got either a fuel delivery or spark issue.
if its cranking over, starting and then dying, you most likely have fuel issues maybe vacuum leaks.
if it is not cranking at all but you have a working battery and good volts, you probably have a bad starter or solenoid. possibly even a bad ignition switch (but not likely)
if when you turn the key and nothing happens at all, you've got a bad or just simply a dead battery. I know you said your battery is good, but I am just being systematic here for diagnostic purposes.

Bon

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
more info needed.
your car either cranks or it doesn't. if it is turning over (cranks) and not starting up, you got either a fuel delivery or spark issue.
if its cranking over, starting and then dying, you most likely have fuel issues maybe vacuum leaks.
if it is not cranking at all but you have a working battery and good volts, you probably have a bad starter or solenoid. possibly even a bad ignition switch (but not likely)
if when you turn the key and nothing happens at all, you've got a bad or just simply a dead battery. I know you said your battery is good, but I am just being systematic here for diagnostic purposes.

Bon
The spark plugs are good as well as the wires and the fuel pump has been replaced recently. The battery has a full charge and is still good. When the key is turned it immediately dies. Hope that gives some more information

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Still need more info.
What immediately dies? The engine? Is it actually turning over (cranking) when you turn the key all the way to the right? (start) or is nothing happening when you turn the key?
the engine can't die if it doesn't start.
which plugs do you have in there? why was the fuel pump replaced? what is the condition of the old pump?

Bon

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Still need more info.
What immediately dies? The engine? Is it actually turning over (cranking) when you turn the key all the way to the right? (start) or is nothing happening when you turn the key?
the engine can't die if it doesn't start.
which plugs do you have in there? why was the fuel pump replaced? what is the condition of the old pump?

Bon
I pulled the relay for the Theft warning that connects to the starter and it no longer does what it was doing before where when the key would be turned the vehicle just turns off before starting or even the starter engaging

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
1,408 Posts
I pulled the relay for the Theft warning that connects to the starter and it no longer does what it was doing before where when the key would be turned the vehicle just turns off before starting or even the starter engaging
That still doesn't explain clearly what it was doing at first.
Try using sentences and explaining point by point.

Does the starter engage and rotate the engine?
If not, do you only get a click when trying to start it, but no rotation of the engine?
If the starter engages, does the engine start before it "turns off"?

Help us help you. We need a clear description of the problem. (In sentences, preferably with punctuation as needed.)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That still doesn't explain clearly what it was doing at first.
Try using sentences and explaining point by point.

Does the starter engage and rotate the engine?
If not, do you only get a click when trying to start it, but no rotation of the engine?
If the starter engages, does the engine start before it "turns off"?

Help us help you. We need a clear description of the problem. (In sentences, preferably with punctuation as needed.)
I replaced the relay and cleaned where the negative terminal grounds so it the starter actually engages now it just doesn't always start and now when it's reved up it dies

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
1,408 Posts
Thank you!

OK, it does start. Good call on cleaning the battery terminals.

Erratic starting and failing when revved sound like they're probably fuel delivery problems. Do you hear the fuel pump run when you turn the key? Sounds like maybe the pump isn't running consistently or doesn't generate enough pressure.

I'm not up on the 300 series, but it sounds like a fuel pump pressure test would be a good idea..

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Yup. agreed^^^^^^^^
You can do a fuel pressure test. but, you never answered my question about the fuel pump and spark plug replacement. Did you actually drop the tank and remove the pump from inside and put in a new one? If so, which pump did you use? Most importantly, prior to replacing that pump, was the car showing the same symptoms?... Was it dying after start up and during revving at that point?

I think we can all agree here that you have some kind of fuel delivery issue, as has been mentioned several times. You know, fuel pumps on the 300zx don't typically go bad needing replacement (unlike the external pumps on the s30 and s130 cars).
I am just trying to get a clearer picture of what has been to your car, so we can better assist you in your problem.

When was the last time it was running correctly? You have to go back to its previous state before any modifications or replacements were made, as often that is where the state of your source of problem may be.

Bon

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you!

OK, it does start. Good call on cleaning the battery terminals.

Erratic starting and failing when revved sound like they're probably fuel delivery problems. Do you hear the fuel pump run when you turn the key? Sounds like maybe the pump isn't running consistently or doesn't generate enough pressure.

I'm not up on the 300 series, but it sounds like a fuel pump pressure test would be a good idea..
It does start part of the time the rest of the time it just cranks and doesn't start. Could that be an issue with spark plugs being bad? I do hear the fuel pump start up when I turn the key.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yup. agreed^^^^^^^^
You can do a fuel pressure test. but, you never answered my question about the fuel pump and spark plug replacement. Did you actually drop the tank and remove the pump from inside and put in a new one? If so, which pump did you use? Most importantly, prior to replacing that pump, was the car showing the same symptoms?... Was it dying after start up and during revving at that point?

I think we can all agree here that you have some kind of fuel delivery issue, as has been mentioned several times. You know, fuel pumps on the 300zx don't typically go bad needing replacement (unlike the external pumps on the s30 and s130 cars).
I am just trying to get a clearer picture of what has been to your car, so we can better assist you in your problem.

When was the last time it was running correctly? You have to go back to its previous state before any modifications or replacements were made, as often that is where the state of your source of problem may be.

Bon
The car was my grandpa's and he replaced the sparkplugs but I don't know exactly when that was but I do know it stopped working properly before my dad got it from him. My dad got it maybe 6 or 7 years ago and he had replaced the fuel pump then because of the fuel delivery issue.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
but the fuel pump replacement never solved the original fuel delivery issue, did it?

well, spark plugs are spark plugs. they all do the same thing, however Nissan recommends specific NGK spark plugs. if you have an owners manual it should tell you the exact plug number. but before you go into chasing spark, you need to address fuel. so, it sounds like the pump your dad replaced is working. so next step is to see if fuel is making it up to the engine bay. you can put a fuel pressure gauge up on and see what the psi reads, or (less safe but works) disconnect the fuel hose from the fuel filter and put a small bucket underneath it... when the pump kicks on, fuel should come out of that hose. that will tell you fuel is getting at least to the filter. then you should look at the filter itself. when was the last time it was replaced? it could be old and clogged who knows. then you've got the little fuel pressure regulator valve right in the center of the fuel rails... that should also be looked at as it could be bad. then if you're getting fuel up to the rail and to the injectors, I think you can rule out fuel delivery. at the point, maybe your injectors are not firing because from there, fuel is in the combustion chamber and there is nothing else to check fuel-wise. you could have a bad fuel injection relay or bad electrical connections there. if you can conclude that fuel is getting into the cylinders, then fuel delivery is not the issue. go for spark next, then go for air flow. if fuel, air, and spark aren't all in the cylinder at the proper time, combustion can't and won't occur. my advice would be to download the FSM from www.xenonzcar.com and start reading up on the systems.

go for the simple things; first, fuel delivery:

1) fuel pump working and delivery to engine bay....... check
2) fuel filter working... check
3) fuel pressure regulator working.... check
4) fuel to the manifold (fuel rails).... check
5) fuel injector relay / fuel injectors working.... check

next go for spark:

1) battery and connections including connections at starter... check
2) ignition coil module......check
3) distributor cap and rotor.... check
4) spark plug wires.... check
5) spark plugs... check. replace with NGK if needed

then check air flow:

1) MAF... check. make sure its not clogged up with junk and that element inside is good
2) MAF hose and connections and plug harness connection... check.
3) Air Filter condition... check
4) Missing hoses and vacuum leaks... check
5) Compression test on all cylinders... check

lastly, it wouldn't hurt to look at the ECU plug connections. make sure they are all corrosion free and connected tightly into the unit. its on the passenger side kick panel right.
and it might even be a good idea to just completely drain the gas tank and throw in some fresh gas. how long as it been since the car was being driven?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
but the fuel pump replacement never solved the original fuel delivery issue, did it?

well, spark plugs are spark plugs. they all do the same thing, however Nissan recommends specific NGK spark plugs. if you have an owners manual it should tell you the exact plug number. but before you go into chasing spark, you need to address fuel. so, it sounds like the pump your dad replaced is working. so next step is to see if fuel is making it up to the engine bay. you can put a fuel pressure gauge up on and see what the psi reads, or (less safe but works) disconnect the fuel hose from the fuel filter and put a small bucket underneath it... when the pump kicks on, fuel should come out of that hose. that will tell you fuel is getting at least to the filter. then you should look at the filter itself. when was the last time it was replaced? it could be old and clogged who knows. then you've got the little fuel pressure regulator valve right in the center of the fuel rails... that should also be looked at as it could be bad. then if you're getting fuel up to the rail and to the injectors, I think you can rule out fuel delivery. at the point, maybe your injectors are not firing because from there, fuel is in the combustion chamber and there is nothing else to check fuel-wise. you could have a bad fuel injection relay or bad electrical connections there. if you can conclude that fuel is getting into the cylinders, then fuel delivery is not the issue. go for spark next, then go for air flow. if fuel, air, and spark aren't all in the cylinder at the proper time, combustion can't and won't occur. my advice would be to download the FSM from www.xenonzcar.com and start reading up on the systems.

go for the simple things; first, fuel delivery:

1) fuel pump working and delivery to engine bay....... check
2) fuel filter working... check
3) fuel pressure regulator working.... check
4) fuel to the manifold (fuel rails).... check
5) fuel injector relay / fuel injectors working.... check

next go for spark:

1) battery and connections including connections at starter... check
2) ignition coil module......check
3) distributor cap and rotor.... check
4) spark plug wires.... check
5) spark plugs... check. replace with NGK if needed

then check air flow:

1) MAF... check. make sure its not clogged up with junk and that element inside is good
2) MAF hose and connections and plug harness connection... check.
3) Air Filter condition... check
4) Missing hoses and vacuum leaks... check
5) Compression test on all cylinders... check

lastly, it wouldn't hurt to look at the ECU plug connections. make sure they are all corrosion free and connected tightly into the unit. its on the passenger side kick panel right.
and it might even be a good idea to just completely drain the gas tank and throw in some fresh gas. how long as it been since the car was being driven?
The fuel pump does get fuel to the engine. I can't check the fuel filter right at the moment and I would have to have a replacement one on hand anyway because it's not a clear one. I guess I'll replace that anyway and probably replace the spark plugs just to be safe.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
you might as well get the right ones:

what do you mean by the filter is not a clear one?
make sure the plugs are properly gapped.
how do you know fuel is getting to the engine, have you done a pressure test?

Bon

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
you might as well get the right ones:

what do you mean by the filter is not a clear one?
make sure the plugs are properly gapped.
how do you know fuel is getting to the engine, have you done a pressure test?

Bon
My dad did a pressure test when he installed it. And what I mean by the filter isn't a clear one is that you cant see through it to see if the filter is still clean or not

1 - 16 of 16 Posts