ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at buying an 85 300ZX non turbo with the 5 speed 2 seater and T-Tops. I am a first time Z buyer and want to get one with little or no problems. What are some common problems and what should I look at when checking out the engine and body. The one I am looking at is $2,500 and the current owner says it has 70,000 miles but I'm not sure if that is 170,000 because I haven't seen the car yet. Just basically looking to see what problems I should be looking for and asking the current seller about. Thanks to anyone with help!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Similar to my reply to an earlier post on the board...

Here's what I would look at...What is the status of the following...

#1 Replace the Timimg belt and H2O pump.
Consider having the O2 sensor replaced. Have the alternator checked or replaced. If it has not been replaced previously you are on borrowed time.

#2 Call Nissan or check your VIN number for fuel injector re-call. If the car has not had the injector work done...have it done immediately. It's free!

#3 Tires? How do they look?

#4 Exhaust...You can still have an exhaust hung on an your Z at most major muffler chains, Midas, etc. ...If you live in the Midwest or your Z is exposed to road salt 3-5 years (5 if you are lucky) is all you can expect from an exhaust system.

#5 Look at the radiator. Leaking? If not it soon will be if it has not already been replaced. Consider having it tested.

#6 Battery? How old? They don't last many years these days.

If all these have been done then you have a good chance of buying a very reliable Z. If not.... factor these maintenance costs .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.