ZCar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I already know the answer that my alternator is dying, but I thought I would throw this out there.
The battery warning lamp always stays on. Any additional load (light, A/C, wipers) will have it glow brighter. It also will glow brighter when the engine revs are higher.

The battery is new, shows a solid 12V at rest. Car is running fine. Could that be this issue? The voltage meter on the dash stays around 13-14V when the car is running. Car has 170k miles. Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cash is tight my friend. Cannot afford to second guess.

Could have done without the DUH though.

Thanks for the confirmation.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I use that 84-86 300ZX alt. in my 78Z. Yes, and eventually, given enough YEARS it will go bad. What was the question, again? ( "This alt is one bad "shut yo mouth!") Norm K.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
don't want to guess. take car to battery shop. they will test your charging system for FREE! then you know for sure DUH

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Roger, get over your ego and immaturity. Nobody cares about how much an a-hole knows. DUH!!!

Anyway, it took 3 alternators to get a good one and the second one was a Hitachi. Go figure.

Runs like a champ.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The thing that sucked was that the first one worked great for 20 miles then whined and grinded like it lost all bearings.
Second one was tested and the voltage regulator part of the alternator was drawing current from the battery after it was installed with the key out. That one had my mechanic scratching his head in disbelief not wanting to finally conclude the new Hitachi alternator was bad. It was.

Replaced that and finally 3 is a charm. I hear you on certain parts to be tested. Never want to do something twice if it can be prevented.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
You would think that shop staff would be smart enough to do the checks without asking, just to avoid messing the customer around and to prove that the unit was good when it left the store, but such is the world these days.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts