ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to 300zx, i'm an s30 guy... anyway... just got a 300zx auto 2+2 started great for a week... so... now sometimes the starter wont kick in.. unless i jiggle the shifter handle a little... or shift out of gear and back into it ... like 5- 15 times or so... what's the deal with that... plenty of power to everything!!! it acts like the starter won't turn over.... because it acts like it's not in park or neutral... is this some type of switch in the tranny, in the shifter handle... maybe even the ignition switch??? (remember Auto) non- turbo... it's tickin me off... could this maybe be something i could correct easily by removing the shifter console area... Thanks...

85 300zx n/a 2+2 auto

·
Registered
373 Posts
Its called a safety neutral switch. I don't know where it is located in our cars but I used to work on a car lot and had several of them go bad.

·
Registered
20 Posts
yup thats correct, and its a right dang biatch to get too. remove the console and take a peak, theres some connectors there on the shift linkage, clean them, make sure they work, spray some contact cleaner on them and move the shifter back and foward to get them to contact.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
THANK YOU SIRS... WIll do MOnday night!!!! I lOVE THIS WEBSITE!!!!

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
Had the same problem with my old Jeep. I had to take the shifter apart. I simply removed the park switch and soldered the wires together. just be careful if you do that because then the car will start up if you have it in gear.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.