ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an 86 Z NA and i have found an 84 turbo z motor.....is this a good swap even though its an 84 engine? i also hear that the oil cooled turbos used for that year werent very reliable....is there another turbo that can be used? my 86 NA is down and i figure if im gonna pull the engine out i may as well put what i want in it....and id like to go turbo...thanks guys for all your help

·
Registered
297 Posts
any year z31 engine will fit and operate fine as long as you have all of the necessary parts. you could probably even take the water-cooling system off of an 85 turbo and use that on the T3 that would come with your 84. just a thought, i don't know for sure if this will work.

i believe the only subtle difference is :
84-86 turbos put out 200 hp / 217 ftlbs
87-89 turbos put out 205 hp / 217 ftlbs
at the crank.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Does the motor come with the tranny?

·
Registered
257 Posts
i believe the only subtle difference is :
84-86 turbos put out 200 hp / 217 ftlbs
87-89 turbos put out 205 hp / 217 ftlbs
at the crank.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also the 87-89s were a T25 not a T3

·
Registered
353 Posts
you wrote that the turbo engine is already out well if it is and you have fears of the turbo failing , why dont you take the oil feed line( that goes from the block to the turbo ) and see if it is clogged at all if it is clean or buy a new one from nissan wich wont be cheap , and after this put synthetic oil (synthetic doesnt coke ) in the motor from from now on ,and buy a turbo timer , with those two things i think youll be alright without changing to a water cooled, my water cooled gets extremely hot anyway ( but i guess it cools the center section down most wich is the crucial part to be cooled down ) And many aftermarket performance turbos dont offer water cooled for some reason.

you will also need the ecu,i read somewhere that 84 ecus have something different from the rest ( http://home.pacbell.net/ehouts/z/swap/ ) read that , and splice a couple of wires in from the idle control ,i just did a swap into my my 2+2 and still have the n/a tranny and it holds great , if you do keep your stock tranny , you will need to buy a turbo clutch for an 84-86 since the clutchy contact area are different different diameters on the 87 -89 , also i got my engine out of an auto and it went into a manual and the manuals come with a pilot bushing in the rear of the crank ,i didnt find out about this until later and had topul the tranny in to put it in , it doesnt fit so your either going to have to drill out the whole a bit or shave some off the bushing i dont know how effective it will be but i shaved it down a bit , the only gain sort off is the oil cooler which i dont know if its efficient at all since it connects right under the exhaust manifold, if you want water cooled i think you will have to get another turbo from 85-86 with the lines ,i dont know if the 94 t3 even has the wholes to screw in the lines , ive seen t3's without water cooling from other types of car that don not show any way to just hook up water lines,

do you know how many miles were in the engine? this would be the best time to take a look around and dismantle the engine , replace anything that can fail , it will save you alot of grief if you do .

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I 2nd everything 2+2 turrrbo just mentioned.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no tranny its just the motor...no turbo either as far as i know.... its been in a climate controlled room(customer service) at a junk yard and the guy says he has had the motor for about 5 years...i was gettin a replacement rear quarter window for my z when i saw it.i believe i saw a tag for compression testing had been done also...dont know the mileage....but it is a turbo motor from an 1984 Z...so basically im lookin at findin all the other parts (crossmember,turbo timer,downpipe,turbo if needed(im not sure if it was on the engine when i saw it), motor mounts, alternator bracket (if the turbo engine doesnt have one), ECU, tranny) Does the NA wiring harness for Engine MGMNT work with the Turbo ECU/Engine or will i have to get the turbo wiring harness too?

Support Our Troops

1981 Nissan/Datsun 200sx 265,080

1986 Nissan 300zx NA Shes Sick Right Now needs a heart transplant

Post Edited (Sep 11, 9:12am)

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
<http://www.redz31.com/pages/turbo.html>

<http://tboz.no-ip.com:10000/300ZX/TurboSwap/TurboSwap.html>

<http://lootz.z31.com/board/read.php3?id=205574&srf=faqyou>

·
Registered
353 Posts
when i did my swap i used the n/a harness , everything is the same except for the idle controli believe , if can go to a junkyard orlookunder the hood of turbo you will se the difference as the n/a has plug and this one it splits into two separate plugs its hard to explain as i kindof forgot but the wires are the same color so you can just cut and splice into your n/a harness as i did.

also the water cooled turbos take the feed for the water from the throttle body water lines so i dont think you would have a problem intretgratring water coolin into your non water cooled system so long as you get a water cooled turbo.

note= i just remebered another thing the n/a harness does not have anything to connect the det sensor but it is not necesary so im not using it if you want it you might have to run wires or use a turbo harnness .

theres a write up in z31.com about how to turbocharge your n/a most of the stuff in that write up are the same probs you will have to deal with this swap. good luck to you and trust me it is worth it

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
quote 2+2 turrrbo: "theres a write up in z31.com about how to turbocharge your n/a most of the stuff in that write up are the same probs you will have to deal with this swap. "

*Cough Cough*

<http://lootz.z31.com/board/read.php3?id=205574&srf=faqyou>

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok.thanks...so even if im droppin in a turbo engine in (not an NA engine Converted to turbo, but a turbo engine) it seems that its best for me to get the turbo wire harness and be rid of the NA harness cause i havent learned much about the NA harness ...for me guys im somewhat scared...ive never done this type of work b4....it will be a first for me ....but as any Z driver knows once your hooked your hooked and id give anything to feel the wind thru the t tops in my z again!

Post Edited (Sep 11, 4:33pm)

·
Registered
257 Posts
I am dropping in a JDM VG30 and I am using my stock N/A Harness.

Wouldn't swapping wire harnesses be a big hassle?

·
Registered
257 Posts
yep:) I switched my ACC valve off my N/A motor onto the Turbo motor should run fine for me until I get a stand alone engine managment system.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Also will be back in the car this week and I'll let you know if it idles fine and everything.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.