ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i've decided to give up on getting the steering right on my 240sx i can't figure out what to do with it. Fortunately i found a 86 NA Z to put my motor in. I'm going to put my 84 Turbo motor and T5 5 speed tranny in the Z which is a NA automatic. Will i have to swap drive shafts? If i so what year drive shaft can i use, cause i'll have to get it from the junk yard or even try the shaft in my 240sx. I've searched and really haven't found a definant answer. I'm pretty sure i'll have to but i want to know for sure. I really appreciate the help.

·
Registered
662 Posts
You'll need a driveshaft from a Z31 running a T5.

·
Registered
662 Posts
You might have seen this but it's useful...
<http://www.az-zbum.com/information.transmission.shtml>

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
any of you guys know if the 240sx drive shaft will work? the vg and the t5 are mounted to the stock 240sx driveshaft and rearend. Maybe i'll be lucky and they'll be the same size....

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
yeah, the vg/T5 will mate with the stock 240SX 5speed shaft. but the shaft for a 240SX is not the same shaft as the one in the 300ZX.

you could mate a ka24de to a T5tranny and put it in a 300ZX that originally had a T5 and you wouldn't have to swap shafts then either. but still, you can't put a 300zx/T5 shaft in a 240SX cause its a different length. and who on earth would actually consider putting a ka24de in a 300zx? Bad example.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dang that sucks finding a turbo Z in the scrap yards around here is next to impossible better chance of finding a 100 dollar bill in one of the cars. I guess i'll have to look into getting a nonturbo trans and shaft or get mine customized. i really appreciate it a lot guys.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Try www.zbarn.com. Junkyard with over 400 Z cars in it. They will remove the part and mail it to you for a very decent price.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I've decided to use the automatic tranny in the Z for now until i get everything together for a 5 speed swap. I know the automatic is weak... but hopefully it'll hold up for a few months. I'm only putting out about 240 hp. I'll hold off on turning up the boost till i get the manual. I think i'm gonna steer clear of the T5 and go ahead with one of the stronger ones. I'll probably start pulling the NA motor this coming weekend and over thanksgiving being i have 5 days off. Wish me luck guys. I'll need it, Murphy's law loves me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.