ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got more details on the engine...its from a 1984 automatic turbo w/ the turbo still on it and downpipe and all as far as i understand the engine has sat in the building for quite some time...so my question is what would i need to do besides the ECU swap for a 1984 turbo as far as preping the engine for manual tranny use. i know about all the other stuff as far as the crossmember etc from the website.....this is an 1984 turbo engine swap into a 1986 NA 300zx...not an NA Engine turbo conversion....dang!!!! i didnt check for the ALT bracket on the turbo engine...oh well....anyhow any help would be appreciated in my quest to give my NA more kick......thanks (V)erciless...domdogg123...2+2_turrrbo...Red_Beauty84zx....and last but not least blakeZX.....for the help in my last post.

1981 Nissan 200sx 260,000 miles and still going

1986 Z turbo swap in progress [email protected]#$%%^......

Post Edited (Sep 14, 3:23pm)

·
Registered
353 Posts
ok i did the same exact thing except my engine came from and 86 and went into and 88 , anyway i think autos are better because of the oil cooler , i dont know if it comes with it but i broke mine so i just used a transmission cooler you can buy at any autozone , theres probably better more efficient ones but i dont think it works as well because of the oil lines being right under the exhaust ( not very helpfull) well my ecu came from the car i took the engine from ( auto) and i have the 5speed in mine and not had anyproblems , just before you put the engine in DONT forget about the pilot bushing , you wiull either have to reduce the outer diameter of the bushing or drill the whole in the crank bigger so it will fit either way dont forget like i did and have to pull the tranny out fropm under the car with only jacks to give you space to fit under the car, also i would pull the tranny out with ewngine when you pull it out , i have heard that it is the way its soppused to be done i dint tho but i had a hard time taking the tranny housing bolt out in the tight spaces , and the rest was changing the crossmember wich was kind of hard to do since it weigths so much and trying to put in the bolts while supporting it was hard anbd the couple of electrical plugs you need to cut and splice in or change the whole harnness, check exhaust stud while the engine out as the break easily ande just normal maintenance , also buy a good boost controller not a crappy cheapest one from ebay like i first did( theyre not calibrated correctly) atleast mines wasnt and this would also be the right time to change the turbo to wastegate lines off to put longer ones in so you can run a boost controller( trust me putting the boost up is oh so worth it!.

good luck with that project i think if you rush thru it you can get it done in less than a week , also i dont know if anything changes with the vacuum canister fron the n/a's to turbo ones but i didnt bother changing it anhd it seem alright for the week it ran before my headgasket broke (damm that crappy boost gauge!!) and ignorance!!!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: 84 turbo engine to a 1986 NA swap2+2 turbo or somebody!)

im trying to find out a code for a auto ECU i saw one today A18-651 M25 and there is the number 25 in big black numbers...does anyone know the code for and ECU from an Automatic Tranny Engine?...i got my engine today and im Excited hhhhooooooooaaaahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so 2+2 Turrbo im not sure what this pilot bushing thingy is but when i get to that stage ill be sure to post.... im trying to get an ECU right now and my engine will be here 2 morrow morning....can you believe i got it for $250.00? with the turbo....aaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.