ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, ya my 83ZXT went 14.65 @95mph friday night at firebird raceway in Phx. AZ. It has 170,000 miles on it. It's bone stock with the exception of a little tweeking on the wastegate. I was running about 7.5psi. My question is this, what can I do about the massive squating the car does. When I made that run at the track the car squated bad enough to make the tire rub, and the rear tires were hopping off the ground (wheel hop) Please help!! I'm in the process of putting a larger turbo on it and intercooling.

·
Registered
862 Posts
> Hey everyone, ya my 83ZXT went 14.65 @95mph
> friday night at firebird raceway in Phx. AZ.
> It has 170,000 miles on it. It's bone stock
> with the exception of a little tweeking on
> the wastegate. I was running about 7.5psi.
> My question is this, what can I do about the
> massive squating the car does. When I made
> that run at the track the car squated bad
> enough to make the tire rub, and the rear
> tires were hopping off the ground (wheel
> hop) Please help!! I'm in the process of
> putting a larger turbo on it and
> intercooling.
You need to do some rear suspension work.
1)Get some stiffer springs
2)Get some stiffer shocks (nitrogen charged)
3)Poly bushings always help
The reason your rear tires were hopping (not good for your E.T. or your Z) is your rear shocks are wore out or not valved heavy enough (rear drag racing shocks you want to be valved so they don't compress very easy, but rebound very quickly, nitrogen charge also helps some).
Stiffer rear springs will help the rear end squat. The stiffer the better up to a point. The rear end squat transfers weight to the back of the car during acceleration providing better traction (assuming your back tires are not hopping). Too stiff of springs will decrease weight transfer thus decrease your hole shot traction, and overall time.
If your going to be added more HP then traction is going to be a big problem in the future if action isn't taken to fix the wheel hop.
What are you running for a trany, auto or manual? When do you have full boost (what rpm)? Diff ratio, peak HP, peak torque. If you take all this into account you can shave a lot of time off your 1/4 mile.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.