ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just begun to notice a weird metallic tick that seems to occur at random while the car is at idle. I can hear it from sitting in the drivers' seat with the windows up. I doesn't seem to go up as I increase RPM's. I drove the car about 20 miles the other day without anything serious happening. Any ideas here?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Do you have the autoclimate controls or the standard controls?
If you have the autoclimate controls, is the temp sensor suction fan going south? Located in the dash.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have the autoclimate controls or the standard controls?
If you have the autoclimate controls, is the temp sensor suction fan going south? Located in the dash.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
> I just begun to notice a weird metallic
> tick that seems to occur at
> random while the car is at idle. I can hear
> it from sitting in the drivers' seat with
> the windows up. I doesn't seem to go up as I
> increase RPM's. I drove the car about 20
> miles the other day without anything serious
> happening. Any ideas here?
Hey! if you mean its from your motor, it might just be time for an oil change. hope it helps.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Clarify Noises

I would probably say it's more of a slight rattle of nickels in a plastic bag, it doesn't happen often, and it seems to be coming from the area of the cam cover. Could it be the timing chain or valves? You really can hear it at idle and the hood is open.

Thanks for the responses so far.

> I just begun to notice a weird metallic
> tick that seems to occur at
> random while the car is at idle. I can hear
> it from sitting in the drivers' seat with
> the windows up. I doesn't seem to go up as I
> increase RPM's. I drove the car about 20
> miles the other day without anything serious
> happening. Any ideas here?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Answer to your noises

From what I have read Rob there can only be two things that you are hearing. Since you located it in the area of the Cam Cover it is either you need an oil change or you are just hearing the injectors opening and closing. Injectors are noisy little things that you will only hear during lower RPM's and after you increase rpm the motor drowns them out. Also the fuel regulator makes an awful noise at low rpm.
The real question is when you changed your engine's oil last. Turbo motors require shorter intervals when changing oil to keep all the parts lubricated. Due to the high heat within the motor and the oiling of the nuclear turbo housing the oil tends to break down faster than in a N/A engine. If your oil is low or broken down what you are hearing is a lifter rattle from lack of oiling. This is only harmful to your engine if you continue to drive it this way for a long time without proper oil levels. As for a worn out cam it could be likely, but would not consider it until you check your oil first. My motor has 170,000 miles on it and the cam still looks like new. Just remember a turbo motor's oil should be changed every 2,000 miles and not 3,000 like other cars.
Let us know what you find out. Good Luck!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.