ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can I tell if injectors leaking or just the little rubber hoses connecting injectors to fuel rail?

Car has 120k miles on car. Fuel leaking from all 6 injectors.

Thanks everybody.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
340 Posts
Re: 83ZXT: injectors leaking, or rubber fuel line.

> How can I tell if injectors leaking or just
> the little rubber hoses connecting injectors
> to fuel rail?

> Car has 120k miles on car. Fuel leaking from
> all 6 injectors.

> Thanks everybody.

I happened to be looking around and saw this board. This is my first time posting, so I hope I don't break any of the rules.

I have been having difficulty with my 1980 280ZX. It has 125k also. two of my injectors started leaking. I wasn't sure how to tell if it was just the hosing either, so I pulled the whole assembly. (sometimes I get overly ambitious) I had to pull the whole fuel line that feeds the injectors. I did the work myself including replacing the injectors. It was difficult and I have had other problems since then, but I'm not sure if they are related. So take my advice with a grain of salt...

All the injectors come with two seals and an injector holder on my car, (I assume it is the same for yours). Mine had completely lost their elasticity. I bought new seals from autozone for $4. Also two of the plastic holders were cracked. I replaced them all with Nissan parts for $5 each. (note: they crack easily so don't over tighten)

This didn't fix my leaking so I ended up replacing two injectors. I tried the autozone version and they wouldn't seal correctly... They apparently have slightly different tips. The Nissan parts were twice as much, but they fit perfectly. I used the instructions from my Haynes book to pull the fuel assembly. The tricky bolt was the one on the front of the engine. It turns out to be headless, so I used two nuts together to get it off. Also most of my lines were dry rotting and the wiring harness was beginning to fall apart.

I have spent a lot of time on my Z, I hope that I can save you some. I have to take mine to Nissan because it is burning to rich. If you would like I can let you know if it is a result of me changing the injectors myself.

Hope this helps,
Eric
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: 83ZXT: injectors leaking, or rubber fuel line.

>I have to take
> mine to Nissan because it is burning to
> rich. If you would like I can let you know
> if it is a result of me changing the
> injectors myself.

Eric;

Thank you for your answer. I have haeard both that it's the inhjectors and the rubber boots. No one really seems to know for sure.

Seems that in your case, it was combination of fuel hose and injectors. Two bad injectors and 6 bad fuel hoses. Am I right?

BTW, if your oxygen sensor's bad, or not connected via it's harness, that could make your car run rich. The oxy sensor in part controls mixture based on it's reading of exhaust gasses.

Let me know why your car runs rich, thank you.
Wayne
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Re: 83ZXT: injectors leaking, or rubber fuel line.

> How can I tell if injectors leaking or just
> the little rubber hoses connecting injectors
> to fuel rail?

> Car has 120k miles on car. Fuel leaking from
> all 6 injectors.

> Thanks everybody.
Wayne, since you have to pull the rail out anyway, you may want to take the injectors in to a fuel injection rebuild center, and have them tested. They check for leaks, spray pattern, etc.
If you replace the hoses, make sure it is high pressure hose, don't use the hoses for carbed systems.
the stud in the front of the engine comes off easily, by double nutting it, locking another nut
against the one there, then backing out the original nut, extracting the stud.
I know our mechanics have replaced the plastic spacers which always crack on your 83 z with the early 280z style (metal).
We sell borg warner remanufactured injectors, seals, etc. good luck, joe 1-800-533-5659 all z
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
340 Posts
Re: 83ZXT: injectors leaking, or rubber fuel line.

> Eric;

> Thank you for your answer. I have haeard
> both that it's the inhjectors and the rubber
> boots. No one really seems to know for sure.

> Seems that in your case, it was combination
> of fuel hose and injectors. Two bad
> injectors and 6 bad fuel hoses. Am I right?

> BTW, if your oxygen sensor's bad, or not
> connected via it's harness, that could make
> your car run rich. The oxy sensor in part
> controls mixture based on it's reading of
> exhaust gasses.

> Let me know why your car runs rich, thank
> you.
> Wayne

FYI, I got it back. Amid all the myriad of problems, the main ones were the air flow meter and the head gas temperature sensor. ( the second one could be the wrong name but I wrote it down) Turns out all the injector hoses should have been replaced, unfortunately I only replaced the ones on the new injectors. So it looks like I will tear the fuel assembly off again. So if you're courageous, go ahead and try it yourself.

Eric
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Re: What about fuel injector rebuild specialists

Does anyone know any good fuel injector rebuild specialists in the Southeast Region (Florida, Georgia, etc.)

Is this even a good idea? The Nissan Dealer wants $140 for each new OEM injector ($110 with discount), and local autoparts want $49, but it may not fit exactly

I guess it will depend if you want to keep the car or not.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top